JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into picking up a portable tire inflator to air up after wheeling and ran across these 2 tire inflators at Sears and Tractor Supply Co. They both run on 12V. Does anyone have any experience with these? Can you re-inflate 4 tires before losing a charge? What is the fill up time per tire? They were priced in the $40-$50 range.

Craftsman:

Campbell Hausfeld:

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I would pass on both of these if I were you. Not that they're bad, but experience has shown that you can do better at this price point. Masterflow (Q Industries) make a series of compressors that are all about the same but have slightly different names. MV-50 and MF-1050 are typical.

Amazon has this compressor for $55, Costco has it for less than $50, and Pepboys frequently has it on sale for about $50. Do some research and you'll find that these are VERY popular as they work very well considering what you pay. I had one hard mounted in my last truck and I have one in the box for my Rubi. One of these days I'll have a powertank, but I'll still keep this as a backup.

·
Registered
792 Posts
X3. My Q Industries works like a charm. Got it at costco.

·
Registered
475 Posts
same here. good little compressor for the price and it actually fits in the trunk/ storage.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I recently got the masterflow. I had searched over quite a few forums as I wanted a good compressor and didn't want to shell out as much as some of the large name ones run. I got mine from Pep Boys and if you go online there is a $10 coupon you can use on it.

I am very pleased. I put all 4 35's from 10 psi to 28 in less then 20 minutes and that includes the time to hook up, fill, switch tires and repack! I run it non stop for all four and it does not shut off at all. This has been in the cold so I am curious how it does in the summer. I couldn't be happier with a portable compressor. I feel like if I spent more money, the only thing different would be it may fill the tire 30 secs faster...

Here is a very detailed review...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378082

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Another vote for the Masterflow. I love mine. I still plan on getting a bottle, but even then I'll probably carry it for a spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cool

I gots a ten dollar wal-mart compresser, and a five gallon air tank that I use the compressor to fill the tank before I go out... Just my .02

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would pass on one of these too.

I had a couple of them. They worked great a few times filling my 32x11.50x15's from 12psi to 35psi but after about 3 uses each they started blowing the supplied 30amp fuses all the time. I gave up on them, and now I'm running 33x12.50x15's and run them at an even lower pressure on the trail, so I'm sure they really won't be up for the challenge.

My next move is converting my AC compressor methinks.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I would pass on one of these too.

I had a couple of them. They worked great a few times filling my 32x11.50x15's from 12psi to 35psi but after about 3 uses each they started blowing the supplied 30amp fuses all the time. I gave up on them, and now I'm running 33x12.50x15's and run them at an even lower pressure on the trail, so I'm sure they really won't be up for the challenge.

My next move is converting my AC compressor methinks.
Interesting.. I've used my about 15 times and haven't blown any fuses yet. Maybe I should get a bag of them to keep around just in case. I only run a max of 28 PSI on the roads though.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I used mine countless times and never had an issue except when it overheated from being mounted under the hood of the truck (not the best location considering ;) ). Even when it did overheat, after it cooled for the required 15 minutes it was always ready to start chugging away again.

For the money I really don't think you can go wrong. :smokin:

·
Registered
749 Posts
weird.

maybe mine was an early design or something. I always used it sitting outside next to the tire on a pretty cold day. It never made it thru the 3rd tire.
You might of had problems with yours,...I love mine, working great so far.
Used it around 10 time from testing to wheeling. 33's down to 12psi & up to 36 fairly quickly. Mounted mine in the hidden compartment in rear of JK, & hard wired it to batt. Just bought one (Xmas) for my Sons new Silverado HD CC Duramax.
Thanks to "IPE" he made my descion easy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Amazon has this compressor for $55, Costco has it for less than $50, and Pepboys frequently has it on sale for about $50. Do some research and you'll find that these are VERY popular as they work very well considering what you pay. I had one hard mounted in my last truck and I have one in the box for my Rubi. One of these days I'll have a powertank, but I'll still keep this as a backup.
Thanks for the info everyone. I purchased this unit from PepBoys and tried it out today at home. Filled all 4 Rubi tires from 15psi to 35psi at 2.5 minutes per tire. Pretty painless process and I'm very happy. This should be very handy off-road. My only compliant, like others have mentioned, is the pressure gauge on the compressor seems inaccurate, I just used another pressure gauge to check the tire pressure.

Thanks again for the useful information.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The pressure gage reads more accurate when you turn the pump off. It's still not the greatest, but after you get a mental calibration for where it is, it's not too bad.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
yah, it is not dead nuts on but not too bad. It seems to be "off" the same amount each time. I just over inflated a little each time and while the next tire is inflating I just air it down to where it should be...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts