JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
This may be a dumb question but are you wanting to take it into the house to use it in the house or are you just wanting to get it out of the Jeep?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for now this is my daily driver and when I come back from the trail I like to keep it clean inside and well I might be ocd, but I don't like wires everywhere.. Plus I don't keep my roof on very much and wouldn't want anyone to get any ideas about my cb..

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I would say don't waste your time with a portable. Most I have seen have a pretty weak range.

Take a look at this radio, Cobra 75 wx st
http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=314&category_ID=30

It is what I use. I did not want to have one left in plain view either. It has a remot box that I installed behind the glove box. The mic actually has all the electronics in it. There is a connection between the mic and the box behind the glove compartment. For now I have just left the connection to dangle just below the glove compartment, you can not see it but when you reach under you can find it and screw the mic in. The radio works well, it is digital and has the weather stations as well as scan. When I am not using it you can unscrew the connection and put the mic/radio in a glove box or take it inside and there is nothing viible inside

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a portable Cobra, its actually for sale here. IMO it worked good to communicate with a group on the trails. I did have to use the magnetic mount for the antenna otherwise no one could hear me. The other big thing was it is big, and there really isnt a spot to put one securely in the Jeep while bouncing around off road. I ended up installing a CB radio because I got tired of trying to keep up with it in the Jeep and the fact that I couldnt talk to anyone but my group.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good... Is there a good install write up on a hidden cb mount? Another good question is that I have a power inverter that I use when camping and traveling... Where is a good spot to run the wires through the firewall??? I'm guess I will have to do so for this cb too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts