JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I searched, and I am admitting likely user error in coming up dry.

I know others have had the popping sound from the mygig, I have isolated mine to occuring only with the hardtop wiring connected on HDD music only. It never happens at the same point in the same songs, appears completely at random (other that when the hard top is all plugged in). Have any of you geniuses figured anything out, like a resitor, capacitor, relay or something?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
at first i thought it would be a mygig update issue but since it only happens with the hard top wiring connected, it sounds more like a ground issue. the wiring is completely different and in no way connected to the audio. think the only thing that would tie in is a common ground or power is used for both. without a schematic of the systems it would be difficult to trace.

ill search around and see if i can find a schematic of either one. best would be to take it to the dealer if it is a huge issue for you. as long as you are still under warranty it shouldnt be that bad. there have been TSBs and RECALLs for similar issues but i think a software update corrected those issues.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Hope this helps.:beer:

MyGIG RER Wiring/Pinouts

Radio C1 - Gray 10 Pin
Hands Free (U-Connect)

Code:
1 18LB/DG LEFT AUDIO OUTPUT
2 18DG/LB RIGHT AUDIO OUTPUT
3 -
4 18DG/YL MICROPHONE FEED
5 -
6 18DG COMMON AUDIO OUTPUT
7 18LB/DG MICROPHONE IN (-)
8 18OR/GY SENSOR GROUND
9 -
10 -

Radio C2 - Gray 22 Pin
Audio

Code:
1 18RD FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
2 20WT CAN INTERIOR BUS (-)
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 18GY/OR AMPLIFIED ANTENNA FEED
8 18GY/LG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
9 18GY/DG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)
10 18DG/LG RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
11 18DG/GY RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
12 18BK/WT GROUND
13 20WT/OR CAN INTERIOR BUS (+)
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 18DG/VT RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS(+)
20 18DG/YL RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS(-)
21 18GY/VT LEFT FRONT SPEAKERS(+)
22 18GY/YL LEFT FRONT SPEAKERS(-)

Radio C3 - White 22 Pin
Rear-Seat Video Montior

Code:
1 18GY/LB AUDIO RETURN 3
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 18GY/BR VIDEO SIGNAL 1
6 18GY/YL VIDEO COMMON 1
7 VDO-VIDEO SHIELD 1
8 18GY/LB VIDEO SIGNAL 2
9 18GY/YL VIDEO COMMON 2
10 VIDEO SHIELD 2
11 18GY/OR AUDIO RETURN 2
12 18DG/VT AUDIO LEFT 3
13 18DG/YL AUDIO RIGHT 3
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 18DG/TN AUDIO LEFT 1
19 18GY/VT AUDIO RETURN 1
20 18DG/WT AUDIO RIGHT 1
21 18DG/LB AUDIO LEFT 2
22 18DG/DB AUDIO RIGHT 2

Attachments

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
This is from an archive that I saved from the now defunct JKBoard.com. This might help as well.

This is the plug that goes into the hardtop.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU RUIN YOUR JK!
With that said, I took a test light hooked it to a ground (I used the ground on the trailer wiring) and was checking the different pins in the plug to find out what was causing the radio output to change. I found that when the violet w/ white stripe (CAV3 in diagram) is grounded the stereo cut out for the half second and returned back to what I call normal output if the hardtop was on (stronger output of sub and sport bar speakers).

I'm just gonna make a jumper wire that will connect the CAV 3 and CAV 6 (black wire) together. But the best fix would be to buy the other half of the plug and properly connect the the wires to make the circuit.

P.S. Some of you have said that they've removed the hardtop with no radio change and some have had the change like me. I do not know what models and years are effected. All I can tell you is that my Jk was born December 07 and purchased January 08. I do have the speaker popping problem when playing CD's but have not received the amp re-flash due to comments of diminished power output.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
nice thanks for that. it can come in handy at a later date. hope this helps his issue as well

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I tried the mod and it gave the Mygig more power/ volume. I noticed before the mod that the unit didn't sound as good with the top off. I never had a popping issue. Sounds great know. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts