JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced on 2 occasions 2 20 Amp fuses on the block under the hood for my 12v power outlets. What gives?:eek:

All I am using is a cig adapter for a cell, ipod even a portable dvd at times. They are always stationary and I only use one at a time, not that it should matter. Hmmmm.:(

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Hmm, the cell should not pop the fuse that's for sure. Well unless your cell is a little laptop. The DVD can definitely pop the fuse depending on the type and size of screen. On the back of the DVD player it should state the amp draw or requirements for the player. I am curious as to what it says.

Oh and the wiring going to that 20 amp circuit is pretty tiny. If you are going to run some big juice sucking appliances, you may want to bring in your own source with big wires direct from the battery. Fused of course. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, I can only guess that the portable 8-inch DVD player is drawing about 1 maybe 2 amps tops. I am suspecting that maybe they're cheap fuses, I don't know. I have not changed my habits since the new fuse replacement so I guess its going to be ok.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
might sound stupid but check to see than theres nothing in the plugs, its hard to get anything in the jk's cause of the way they are but i see it all the time at work. 2nd make sure the stuff you are plugging in isnt messed up , ive seen a messed up charger pop the fuse before. i have a HD -radio tuner and a 7" screen running off mine and havent had a problem since i installed them.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
mine was poping with a cig lighter and a Sirius at the same time. I put a 25amp one in :laughing: not the "smartest" thing to do but it worked

·
Registered
749 Posts
mine was poping with a cig lighter and a Sirius at the same time. I put a 25amp one in :laughing: not the "smartest" thing to do but it worked
X2 ...blew 3, but my 25 is holding,...

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
On my wife's denali I used the circuit as it came through the firewall at a junction box for something additional. It was 20amp original fused and I bumped it up to 30 because it was blowing.

We were in VA Beach, VA running down the highway when the end of a cell phone charger broke and lodged in the cigar lighter. It shorted across the POS and NEG. Well, it didn't blow the fuse but started smoking the absolute crap out of the wiring. It burned the wiring harness from the cigar lig up into the dash. Luckily I had remembered where that damn fuse was under the hood and had slammed on the brakes on the side of the highway and snatched the fuse from box. Otherwise it might have kept on going. It filled the cabin with a putrid electrical burn smell as it burned the coverings off of the wires.

This was part of the harness.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts