JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to figure this out.. 13 JK auto with 4.88 and 37s programmed with Procal.. it’s feels slow an under powered, struggles on hills, downshifting too late, holding gears too long and getting hot.. up to 235-240 degrees when going up steep grades. But cools off quickly on flat ground.. something isn’t right. My girlfriends 2013 JKUR, also programmed with a Procal, auto 37s and 4.10 gears drives totally different, doesn’t get hot like that or have the shifting issues.. feels very responsive from a start. Any ideas? PFA

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
burnt or low - or both - ATF +4 ...on hils there's not enough viscous, hethy ATF being able to be picked-up , maybe 'cause it's gunked. I assume you mean the tranny fluid is that temp. cause if the engine is that hot you got some other bad stuff goin down. when was tranny serviced last?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Any engine codes/check engine light? Almost sounds like a partially plugged exhaust. Maybe not, just popped into my head when I read the symptoms.

If it's not downshifting properly, or upshifting too early it could cause engine lugging, which would cause sluggishness and could cause high engine temps. Have you double-checked the Pro-Cal settings? Maybe something is off. Can't imagine that would cause it to feel sluggish when starting from a stop though, which it sounds like you say is the case.

Does your Jeep have a lot more armor/weight than hers (skids, bumpers, rock rails, corner armor, fenders, winch, etc.)?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any engine codes/check engine light? Almost sounds like a partially plugged exhaust. Maybe not, just popped into my head when I read the symptoms.

If it's not downshifting properly, or upshifting too early it could cause engine lugging, which would cause sluggishness and could cause high engine temps. Have you double-checked the Pro-Cal settings? Maybe something is off. Can't imagine that would cause it to feel sluggish when starting from a stop though, which it sounds like you say is the case.

Does your Jeep have a lot more armor/weight than hers (skids, bumpers, rock rails, corner armor, fenders, winch, etc.)?
No codes. Exhaust is stock, except for magnaflow muffler. I have deleted the settings.. and added them again, same thing. It feels like I'm driving a 4 cylinder. The weight is close to the JKUR we have.. it's night and day difference with how it drives.

Plugged cat.
I don't see how the cat can be plugged... it only has 51k miles, I change the oil over 5k along with the air filter... and isn't there more than one cat? I haven't heard this to be an issue with anyone else...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I bought my 07 with 68k miles on it and those cats were completely burnt out (from cracked factory manifolds). A lot can happen in your 51k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
No codes. Exhaust is stock, except for magnaflow muffler. I have deleted the settings.. and added them again, same thing. It feels like I'm driving a 4 cylinder. The weight is close to the JKUR we have.. it's night and day difference with how it drives.

I don't see how the cat can be plugged... it only has 51k miles, I change the oil over 5k along with the air filter... and isn't there more than one cat? I haven't heard this to be an issue with anyone else...
A cat shouldn't burn out that fast, but it can definitely happen.

At this point if it were me I would just start diagnosing it as an engine down on power. Start with air (check intake/air filter and the exhaust). If there are no air restrictions (in or out) then move on to fuel and if that checks out, maybe a compression/leakdown test is in order. Plugged exhaust came to mind because it will cause a drop in power and can also cause high engine temps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will start with air, not sure how to check fuel delivery.. or lean condition? Otherwise I'll move on to checking the cats... if it is the cats, I would assume I'd be getting some sort of code, which I'm not. That's what has me stumped, and thinking this is just a programming issue.

Is there a way to reflash or reboot the ecm? Unhook the battery? I'd like to try a different program, but want to start from stock. I'm simply not trusting my Procal to do it's job.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I will start with air, not sure how to check fuel delivery.. or lean condition? Otherwise I'll move on to checking the cats... if it is the cats, I would assume I'd be getting some sort of code, which I'm not. That's what has me stumped, and thinking this is just a programming issue.

Is there a way to reflash or reboot the ecm? Unhook the battery? I'd like to try a different program, but want to start from stock. I'm simply not trusting my Procal to do it's job.

I get it, you’ve stated you don’t trust the ProCal but I’d personally start by reloading my stock tune from it.

Call ProCal and talk to them first, there may be an update that you should do?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Jumping in here, and not meaning to be an @$$#0!3. Your combination of tire size & gear ratio should be fine with a 3.6L. Be sure you have the tire diameter programmed correctly, along with the gear ratio when you use the Procal. Measure the tire diameter with a tape measure at street pressures from the ground to the top of the rear tire(s). Don't program in the rated size from the sidewall.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That doesn't seem likely (but I won't say it's wrong). A slight mismatch in tire size shouldn't cause the over heating... poor acceleration and/or shifting, sure. If the tire size mismatch was great enough to cause the engine to overheat I'd think the tranny would bitch about ratio mismatch and go into limp mode.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts