JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any difference between the stuff sold for audio or the stuff sold to stuff pillows and dolls? Only reason I'm asking is because they sell the later locally...

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I stuffed the stock sound bar and the sub enclosure in my new Jeep after seeing a post about it making the sound better. The difference was shocking and I used two, $2.50 pillows that I bought at Wal-Mart when I went on a late night bug spray run. :thankyou:

I've always just used some form of cotton polyfill in system boxes and it works just fine. No reason to buy the re-branded stuff IMO.

Marcus

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'll have to try this

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I stuffed the stock sound bar and the sub enclosure in my new Jeep after seeing a post about it making the sound better. The difference was shocking and I used two, $2.50 pillows that I bought at Wal-Mart when I went on a late night bug spray run. :thankyou:

I've always just used some form of cotton polyfill in system boxes and it works just fine. No reason to buy the re-branded stuff IMO.

Marcus
This is on my weekend to do list. Did it on the last jeep, its not a bad "upgrade" for 5 bucks.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

Marcus
*runs to the craft store since wallmart doesn't exist in san francisco*

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
One of the very first things I did was replace the stock speakers with Infinty Ref Series coaxials and stuff the pods/bar with polyfill after laying down Damplifier in them. Those three things changed the sound immensely. Adding the new head unit with more power and the SAS Bazooka rounded the system out. It sounds amazing now. I'd recommend rolling in some Dynamat or Damplifier before the polyfill. The hollow, plastic sound totally disappears after that.

·
Registered
871 Posts
$4 16 oz bag from WalMart did my soundbar the other day and have enough left to do the front speakers. They sell just the polyfill in the fabric section. Definitely worth the time and effort to do.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
So how does this work, explain.

Remove the speakers and jam the space it full of this fluffy shit? Why are you doing this?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

Remove the speakers and jam the space it full of this fluffy shit? Why are you doing this?
The polyfill kills standing soundwaves and resonance. Which is far worse with those plastic housings...

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts

That's right. Pull the speakers out of the sound bar and stuff that puppy.

Do the same with the sub.

All of the speakers have a little bit of glue holding them in along with the torx screws so you need to pull them out with a little heave-ho. I used a little allen wrench to pull the sub out. There's a slot in the bottom section that you can slide one into.

Marcus

·
Registered
561 Posts
does the shit get wet and start to stink when you guys pull the tops off?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
No, it's enclosed within the pods and soundbar. Unless you have shitty paper cone speakers...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Gonna give this a go.. What about the 'upgrade' speakers for the sound bar available on amazon for like $60ish..
Which system you have?

I would try the cheap polyfil first if you don't like it, then upgrade too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm replacing the stock infinity speakers with the $70 Kickers and polyfill tomorrow, so let's see how much of a diff there will be.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I stuffed my sound bar with polyfill from Wal-Mart. It used almost 2 bags and makes a huge difference. I also replaced the factory speakers with the $70 dollar Kicker upgrades. Definitely the best bang for the buck. I lined my soundbar with Dynamat too. It takes out a lot of the vibration from the plastic enclosure if you like more bass or play the music loud to overcome wind noise but it's not necessary if you're trying toupgrade on the cheap.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts