JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I taco'd my tie rod pretty well this weekend. Not by any fault of my driveing just poor spottigng:D:grinpimp: LOL I'm seriously leaning towards the Poly replacement. Anyone use it and have anything to say about it. Will it work with the a 3" lift and the rest of the steering stock? I'm going to be getting there stabilizer relo bracket also. Is the fox stabilizer worth it or not. I'm sure polys stuff is great just looking for a review or two before I drop the money. Thanks guys.
Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I don't have it yet, but it's on my short list. It should work with any lift. It mounts the same way as the factory one. As far as I can tell, it's the best one out there so far. I would love to find one that was a knuckle flip to raise it up, but that will be tricky because of the drag link knuckle location.

My tie rod has had a frown for about 6 months now. It just makes it look angry. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah mines got the angry frown going too. Would be nice to get it up out of the way but like you said looks pretty tight on the one end. Have you heard about any of the aluminum flex tie rods out yet? Looked but I couldn't find any.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It it just a replacement tie rod so it will work on any lift. We tried to figure out a way to flip it but it's not easy with the steering arm on the knuckle for the draglink. It would be possible with maybe a new knucle but that add a lot to the cost. You should have any problems with ours bending though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is yours the same diameter as the stock one? The reason I ask is that I have an aftermarket steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Is yours the same diameter as the stock one? The reason I ask is that I have an aftermarket steering stabilizer.
yes, same diameter, you can use the stock stabilizer bracket.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have this on my rig, great quality. No issues,I am running it with 4.5 " of lift and Riddler (if you are worried about rubbing) Covers. I really think this is a must have if you wheel at all! Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should be here shortly and I'll test it out good in Colorado the end of the month. Thanks for the quick replys, anything has got to be better than the stocker it didn't like haveing the hole wieght of the vehicle dropping on it. LOL I hate climbing moss covered rocks.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
After tweaking my stock tie rod a few times, I installed a Poly tie rod too and it is very strong!

I also have the Fox steering stab and it is great. Because it is gas charged it tends to push the steering slightly to the drivers side, but for the most part this is negated by the camber in the road. Although I haven't, you can change the gas charge in it if you wish to get rid of this. I believe Alec W did it and set it to about 80 psi.

A

·
0 Posts
After tweaking my stock tie rod a few times, I installed a Poly tie rod too and it is very strong!

I also have the Fox steering stab and it is great. Because it is gas charged it tends to push the steering slightly to the drivers side, but for the most part this is negated by the camber in the road. Although I haven't, you can change the gas charge in it if you wish to get rid of this. I believe Alec W did it and set it to about 80 psi.
80 PSI worked but it still pushes very slightly to the driver side. Anything lower than 60 is no better than having the stock shock.

Unless you have access to nitrogen you most probably are going to need to use a shop that specializes in working with gas shocks. I put regular air in mine but I’m not too worried because the air here in Denver is very dry. If you think you can just let out some of the nitrogen that the shock comes loaded with think again. There is next to no gas in there and I lost all the nitrogen when I put a pressure gauge on it and took if off too slowly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stop by any HVAC shop we use Nitrogen to purge all the a/c lines before,during and after brazing. They should be able to hook you up. Most guys carry it on the truck so you may be able to get it from them for nothing if they are a fellow jeeper. If anyone is close to central Wisc and needs some let me know.
Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts