JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poll: If a retailer sells you a product and the invoice and packing slip have the right part number, but the part is for a different application and you have a professional permanently install (weld) the piece relying on the retailer's representation that it was the right part, but later find that it was the wrong part and is close, but not right and could lead to problems down the road what do you think the retailer should do?

A) Ignore you and hope you will go away
B) Tell you to pound sand, you should have known it was the wrong part and so should have your installer
C) Make it right

·
Registered
619 Posts
Any part numbers on the part itself or the packaging? If not I would say the vendor would be at least partially at fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I could see it going to either B or C depending on your definition of "Make it right."

I do agree that the manufacturer (not sure if it is the same as the retailer in your poll) has at least some fault. That being said, that doesn't mean they are responsible for paying for your initial installation, the welding or the installation of the new part. If they do, they are way above the average manufacturer.

Whenever I have installed a part as a technician at a shop or on my personal Jeep, I double check the part in the box matches what it is supposed to be. If it is a weld on application, I triple check.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Illegitimate poll. Cause, ......bacon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unwritten law of JKO says you have to have Bacon as an option in any poll. lol

What was the part that was wrong?
Keyword unwritten on the bacon! But I get it now. FNG moment ...

Gussets. They were for a Dana 30, but vertically integrated mfgr/retailer sent TJ D30 gussets instead of JK D30 gussets. Realizing their mistake they sent new set of right gussets immediately, but now won't pay to have them cut, grinded and rewelded.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I can understand the frustration, but let's see a picture of the gussets installed.

At the end of the day a gusset is a gusset and if it was close enough that the shop was able to weld it in I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sell the right gussets and recoup some cost.

You're going to hurt the axle more than help it cutting all that stuff off and grinding on it to try and replace the gussets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can understand the frustration, but let's see a picture of the gussets installed.

At the end of the day a gusset is a gusset and if it was close enough that the shop was able to weld it in I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sell the right gussets and recoup some cost.

You're going to hurt the axle more than help it cutting all that stuff off and grinding on it to try and replace the gussets.
Solid advice if the gussets in question didn't make contact with the bottom of the coil spring causing spring bind.

Here are pics of the right ones, the wrong ones and the wrong ones installed.

This can be fixed without harming the axle, but if it harms the axle, I know from whom I am going to seek redress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Another member went through this recently with axle sleeves.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
The JK gussets often make a little contact with the coil too.

Did they weld them to the top of the knuckle?

I agree here, how much of the coil is lifted off the perch?
My Coils sit on the Artec gussets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The JK gussets often make a little contact with the coil too.

Did they weld them to the top of the knuckle?
They did weld them on top, but just a short bead on either side where the gap wasn't so severe. The result of the wrong part was that there was less contact area to run a weld, which was great for weld in place and not burn up ball joints, but for structural integrity, it's less than optimal.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Realizing their mistake they sent new set of right gussets immediately, but now won't pay to have them cut, grinded and rewelded.
My $.02: "They" have done everything they should have (sent you the right parts ASAP).

Any further recourse should be sought from your fabricator or the guy in the mirror.

One of you two fooks made the call to burn it in (after fit checking?) - time to own it.

If you pay me for a straight razor and I send you a hatchet, then obviously I still owe you a straight razor.
If you try to use the hatchet to shave your nuts, and castrate yourself, I still only owe you a straight razor.​

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My $.02: "They" have done everything they should have (sent you the right parts ASAP).

Any further recourse should be sought from your fabricator or the guy in the mirror.

One of you two fooks made the call to burn it in (after fit checking?) - time to own it.

If you pay me for a straight razor and I send you a hatchet, then obviously I still owe you a straight razor.
If you try to use the hatchet to shave your nuts, and castrate yourself, I still only owe you a straight razor.​
Well I'm glad you began with the value of your post, I couldn't agree more as to how much it might bring at retail. And I want neither your razor, nor your hatchet and you can play with your own nuts as far as I'm concerned.

There is an article in the Uniform Commercial Code which creates an implied warranty of fitness that says that if the person who sells it to you knows what the right part is they guarantee that it is the right part for the purpose.

I didn't create this situation, but I'm going to correct it. My hope was to get some constructive feedback from some thoughtful individuals who I have found typically frequent this forum as seen in a few posts above, not to get vigilante shadetree aphorisms about if the part don't fit, cut your nuts off.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
1 - 20 of 109 Posts