148 Posts
Ebay

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Not sure about Florida but many states have laws against police scanners in your vehicle.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Scanner App for your smartphone... few second delay...but then you can listen to all kinds of departments..by name not chanel

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not sure about Florida but many states have laws against police scanners in your vehicle.
It is illegal in FL to have one in the vehicle, I had a friend get busted with one.

If you have an iPhone, you can get the local scanner app and use it that way far cheaper, or get your ham radio license and listen to that channel.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Scanner on the cheap and legal:

5-0 Radio Pro App-$1.99
iPhone to Aux cable-$2.99

Scanner over my speakers-Priceless

The aux cable is needed (at least for me) as it won't play over my regular iPhone cable???

·
Registered
997 Posts
Here in AZ we need a trunking scanner to follow along and they can be expensive. I use sanner radio though found in Blackberry App World. Works good.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Use smartphone app and I have a ham radio license so non digital radios frequencies are easy to tune and save. Our state troopers are all digital so you have to have a digital scanner. $

·
Registered
120 Posts
it depends on the frequencies you want to listen to. Some departments have switched to digital trunked networks where you need a fancy scanner to listen to them, and some use encryption so all you get is static. A few areas use systems that can't be scanned yet, too. So, do a little research on what is used locally, that'll determine what you need. I'm a firefighter and our entire state uses a digital trunked network, Fire/EMS/Police all use it. So, you need a $400+ scanner for that. A lot of fire departments have a local repeater for their pagers but the range is limited to a few miles, typically and only rebroadcast a couple channels.

I did a little searching and it seems that Florida is moving towards a statewide network with the newer technology that you can't use a scanner for. So, you're probably better off just listening to the streaming audio sites on your computer. big list of stuff to listen to here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=12

1 - 16 of 16 Posts