JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I read that if you push the accelerator to the floor and keep it there while cranking, the engine won't start. I'm wondering if doing this for a few seconds is a way of getting oil moving before starting a JK that's been sitting a while. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
It does work, but you are also increasing wear on everything in the starting process. Pick your poison.

Reactions: RJMurcek

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just that when I start it after it's sat for a week or so I sometimes hear some rocker tapping when the engine jumps into action, and that makes me nervous.
I always use clear out mode if the jeep has been standing. It's a chance to get the oil moving before there is any combustion stress on bearings and the like. If I don't do this I get valve train noise on startup. If I use clear out mode I dont
How long do you crank in clear out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No sure it creates more wear at all. Rotation speed is very low, oil pump builds pressure and there is no engine force at play. I have a bmw with the mighty s54 engine that is known for eating rod bearings. It is in the tune to crank longer when it is cold before turning on fuel and spark to lubricate the bearings and move oil around the engine. Ignition is delayed on purpose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is this a documented thing and the fuel and spark are actually off or is the engine not starting because there a a lot more air availble than the AIS could normally provide? Back in acient times when we all had carburators this used to be how you would clear the engine after a stuck float or you tried starting it with the choke on when it was warm out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a documented thing on the jk somewhere. I first read about on the web. Lots of people say they use it to stop top end clatter when starting the 3.8 jk after its been sitting. It is the same procedure we used to use to clear carbs yes but in this case it also let's you spin the engine with the plugs out if you are working on something. Google "clear flood mode" lots of stuff has it

·
Registered
2009 rubicon 2dr
27 Posts
I personally think, you all freaking out over a little lifter noise. Back in the day, when I had my 76’ CJ-5 with a AMC 401, ya you heard me, I did not studder. Ya I installed it myself. I was in Wyoming, it would be -40F, it would get those cold starts all the time. Oil was free where I worked, as long as it was straight 40wt. So 40wt it was. Anyone familiar with the AMC V8s, would know the oil pick up was a long windy path to the pump. It took some time for that thing to get pressure, so it raddled a while. I would let it sit there and do it’s thing. Ounce it was warm enough, away I went. This was year after year. Like 175000 miles later I sold it to a friend of mine ( I then bought my 09 rubicon)), he had it some years and sold it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts