JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front and rear diff lights just flash and I've never got the front or rear lockers to engage so I'm installing the 5.38 gear in the rear today and thought I'd trouble shoot the locker situation. With the jeep in 4LO and locker switch engaged I have no power to either wire on the locker. I do have 12 volt to one lead of the locker indication switch. Should one lead of the actual wiring going to the locker itself have 12volts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yes, you should have +12v at one wire and ground at another. Have you hooked the locker up directly to a 12v source and checked if it slides?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pierced the yellow wire with my Power Probe and hit it with 12V and it didn't move. I've since removed everything and reinstalled with the 5.38 but I had to drive it home last night so didn't get back to messing with the locker.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
FYI in case you didnt know it, lockers are full time hot and switched ground

dont remember the wire colors, but the relays for them are located under the hood next to the battery, check one of the locker bypass switch write ups for the wire colors, seems like it was purple, but its been awhile since I worked on them.

either way, you should be able to pop the diff cover, hit the actuator plug with hot and ground and see the ring move.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
FYI in case you didnt know it, lockers are full time hot and switched ground

dont remember the wire colors, but the relays for them are located under the hood next to the battery, check one of the locker bypass switch write ups for the wire colors, seems like it was purple, but its been awhile since I worked on them.

either way, you should be able to pop the diff cover, hit the actuator plug with hot and ground and see the ring move.
do this first. no point in wire chasing if the locker is not working. unplug harness, touch the locker wires to a ground and power, make sure it works.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do this first. no point in wire chasing if the locker is not working. unplug harness, touch the locker wires to a ground and power, make sure it works.
I haven't regeared the front yet so I assume I could just jack up the rear and get the tires off the ground, put power/ground to the harness and check the locker by spinning the tires be hand?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked both relays. I've got 12V on pins 30, 87A, and 85. When I touch to test light to one of the other pins the relay clicks so I guess that's giving it the ground it need. I still have no power to the rear locker actuator though, haven't checked the front. If I had power at the locker I would just do the locker mod and be done with it....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, it looks like I'm talking to myself in here but here's another update. Apparently making those relays click with the test light today locked up the front or rear or both. I had the wheels turned and when I tried to back up it didn't want to move, at first I thought the brakes were stuck but then I realized one of the axles was locked. I pulled forward and it released and went back to normal. I guess I need to probe the front front locker and see if it's getting power as it should.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I haven't regeared the front yet so I assume I could just jack up the rear and get the tires off the ground, put power/ground to the harness and check the locker by spinning the tires be hand?
dont bother with the "harness", put power to the plug right off the dif. No messing up what is working or not. You should be able to hear/feel the "click" of the locker with your hand on the dif cover. You can also jack up the wheels and spin one till it locks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also, just to make sure...
there are TWO plugs on the axle, one is locker power, the other is the plunger sensor...
Yeah, I'm only testing the wires running to the actuator. Good news is the lockers both work! I never knew the locker relays had to be grounded before the hot wire on the actuator had 12V. I've been poking around under there with the key on and lockers turned on and never got power anywhere. I put a ground to the locker relay wire(aka locker mod) and what do you know the front and the rear both lock. I've still got a few problems. The harness that plugs into the rear actuator(where it bolts to the top of the housing with the o-ring seal has a short in it. I can wiggle the female part of the sensor and hear the locker lock and unlock so I can't seem to keep it locked consistently. The front locker locks when I send ground to the relay but I've noticed it seems to have more slack before the other wheel catches. For instance I can turn the right front tire a few inches before the passenger side starts turning the same direction. I'm not sure if having it 2wd would have any effect on that but I wouldn't think so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.