JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 08' 4 door X, and ordered a 4" lift.
With the 6 speed / 3.73 gears, could I run 35's without gearing up? What about 33's?
I got the 4" superlift kit w/ss shocks, but if I have to put gears in, I'm having second thoughts.
Please help!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have an 07 Unlimited with an auto and 4.10s and I'm not overly happy with the gearing using the stock 29" minivan tires. I've got a set of 32s that will go on shortly and while I'm not going to regear, I'm sure the performance will suffer. I suspect that you'd have to regear to at least 4.10s for 33s and maybe 4.88s for 35s. Just my .02 and there are a lot of guys on here that are a hell of a lot smarter than me about these things. Check back later tonight and I expect you'll get some good info. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skibum,
Thanks for the info. I can live with the gearing the way it is now, (bone stock W/6 speed) but if 33's will make a huge difference I may reconsider.
I'd like to see what some of the others have to say w/the manual and 33's.
I'd hate to get that lift in the mail and not be able to use it right away.:bawling:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
you can get away with it on a manual as the rpm range is slightly higher and you can control it. I have the 4.10 option with a 6 speed and I go between 5 and 6 allot with 33" tires. I suspect you'll stay in 5th allot more than 6th. Other than that it's bearable until you can afford the bigger gearing. I personnally will land on 35's so I'm thinking 5.13 gears or 4.88's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NE Wrangler,
Thanks, I'm thinking 35's too. If I go with 33's and a 4" lift, I know I'll always have second thoughts about the 35's. I may have to put gears farther up on the priority list though!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got 33's 6 speed with 3.21 and 6th is only for downhill or with wind freeway. 35's with 3.73 will be about where I set now. I would get the 35's and regear when you can to 4.88 or 5.13 if you ever plan to go with 37's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts