JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought the Pittsburgh 3 ton aluminum race jack from Harbor Freight a week ago and broke it in this weekend doing tire rotations on our JK and our Grand Cherokee.

Getting each of the Jeeps up on the jack stands from and rear was not a problem as jack did well getting the Jeeps in the air. Where the problem came in on both Jeeps was when I came time to jacking them up to get them off the jack stands. On the JK I was took the rear down first, then moved to the front. When I had it in the air, I was able to get the jack stand on the left side out but ran into a problem on the passenger side. In the end managed to get it lifted enough by putting a couple of blocks of wood under and jacking it under the control arm mount on the axle.

Skip ahead a day to yesterday and I was doing a tire rotation on our Grand Cherokee. Here again the same issue except I couldn't get the rear lifted off the jack stands. Luckily I was able to put the jack under the rock sliders and lift it enough to get it off the jack stands doing left side then right.

In each case with the different Jeep's I first was jacking from the "pumpkin on the JK" or "center section on the grand". I'm guessing it's just a matter of the piston (or whatever it's called) not holding enough pressure to raise the vehicle up all the way on that final lift. I've already exchanged the jack for a new one and made sure to buy the replacement warranty as extra insurance in case this occurs again.

So I guess what my question is quite simply is whether this is an anomaly or the norm with the HF jack's? Has anyone else had this problem as well?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
V8 dreams
3,568 Posts
i got the steel 3 ton and it hasn't given me any problems in about 8 months of use. i didn't get the warranty so i'm sure i'll get 13 moths of use out of it before it craps out lol

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, right.

The little I've read here and there is it seems to be hit or miss with people having problems with these things. I guess we'll see how things play out the next time I use the new one.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I know the vast majority here aren't techs but trust me here.... Lifting and supporting devices are the wrong things to save a few $$$ on. Just my .02 worth

Like do you want a real hi-lift or the chinese copy?

Before you ask winches aren't designed to lift or support

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the vast majority here aren't techs but trust me here.... Lifting and supporting devices are the wrong things to save a few $$$ on. Just my .02 worth

Part of the reason playing into my decision to buy the jack from HF was that every aluminum race jack out there is identical in every detail save for color and all made in china. So they're all copying each other or it's the same company making them and slapping different names on them.

Trust me, I'm a strong proponent of buy cheap, buy twice and making this decision was not an easy one.

Not to worry, if I ever were to make a decision to buy a hi lift, it'd be the real deal.

Oh and I appreciate the clarification on the what a winch should and should not be used for.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
there are no under $200 jacks that are not made overseas, craftsman included.

i have 2 of the 3T aluminum ones (one with no wheels and a skid to be used in sand and one with a lift kit :laughing: yes, I am serious) and both work fine.

You need to use a block or whatever to make sure the jack (any jack) is not at its max to get it off the stands, it gives you some fudge room should you need to go higher.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

This doesn't even make sense. Its not a safety issue so why not? I could see spending the extra money on a nicer one that would last longer if being beat everyday, and things like quick lift to get to the frame is nice (mine doesn't have it but I think the newer ones do).

However, everyone SHOULD know not to ever get under a vehicle held by just a jack, even if it's a million dollar jack. Jacks are only used to lift a vehicle a few inches, and then good jackstands are used to hold the vehicle up before you even touch it. Therefore, the jack isn't really that important as long as it'll lift the vehicle.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
i got the steel 3 ton and it hasn't given me any problems in about 8 months of use. i didn't get the warranty so i'm sure i'll get 13 moths of use out of it before it craps out lol
I have this one also. Only used it a few times so far but it works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts