JKOwners Forum banner

Pioneer AVH-4200nex the good, bad, and ugly

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jerryn 
#1 ·
Hi,
I upgraded my stereo head unit. I had a 130RES with the Alpine Premium Sound. Two weeks ago I installed a Pioneer AVH-4200nex.
I also used the iDatalink Maestro to keep Uconnect and wheel button control functionality. If you are going to install a 2 DIN radio, and you go offroad like I do, you will want to remove the rear dashboard bracket, it's fastened by two 7mm screws. Get a decent hacksaw, and a vice. hacksaw the bottom of the bracket by cutting at the lower corners. Next bend the upper left and right fingers on the bracket 5degrees. The top of the fingers will be at the same level as the center where the dashboard is fastened. You do NOT want the fingers to be any higher than the middle. Fasten the rear bracket back on the dash.
There are many out there that are just removing the bracket. The end result of not resuing the bracket is you won't be able to fasten top dash panel the with the top 7mm screw, also when hitting the moderate trails your head unit just might break the Metra mount kit. I wish there was a better mount kit than Metra but it appears all of them are made with ABS plastic. I did not want the head unit to be bouncing around while I was on the trails so my head unit is cradled in tightly with the rear mount braket. As you can see from the picture I got used to using the Voice Media Commands. I no longer use it. I have a 128GB SDCARD in there now since Pioneer has a mp3 playback processing that's really great. 24bit DAC, It also plays lossless FLAC files! You can adjust HPF crossover for the front and rear speakers, LPF crossover for the subwoofer. I'm pretty happy with the sound. Android Auto.. not so much. Google nutered the technology.
Here's what my install looks like:

See less See more
#2 ·
I just put this in mine and I am liking it so far. It's worth it (for my setup at least) to get the tuning microphone and have it setup all the parameters. Really kicked my SQ up a notch. Android auto kinda sucks, but try out a Belkin Miracast dongle in the HDMI port and mirror your Android screen. Waze on the head unit? Yes please!

#6 ·
So this isn't my picture but its what I went off of. I also cut the bracket to just below the screws. The only need for the bracket is to tie the dash together, not for the actual radio anymore. Good luck! Also, I have the 4200 and love it. Trying to go back now and add a 4 channel amp (should have done it from the beginning).

Attachments

#7 ·
Wow It's been a while since I've logged in here. When you remove the D Bracket you will see where you need to take a hacksaw and file to it.
Basically you need to widen the bottom of it. What I ended up doing is cutting the bottom of the D bracket completely.

Car Play and Android Auto sucks. It's so hobbled it's not worth it. The Pioneer 4200NEX sounds great though. I basically only use Android Auto when I need to the GPS. Most of the time I like to just map out my destination, write it down. Drive without GPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.