JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to throw some fish feed on the pond this morning after getting back from taking the kids to school (like every morning) and off to the left side of the pond I catch some movement. Well I look closer and there are two feral pigs (medium sized) just standing there. I try to quietly and slowly go back in the house and they don't spot me. I go in and remember the rifle is in the safe and unloaded and start cussing (quietly). I get it out as quietly as possible load it and head back out only to see the tail end of one disappear into the brush next to the woods. It was not running so I did not spook it. I wait a bit and no more action. I think from here out I will be riding with the rifle and then head out back to sit a bit every morning because I can use some sausage and roasts (If I don't just cook up a whole one). Anyone got a spare bag of corn so I can start fattening them up?

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Just be careful out there I some pictures of a pig-beast creature that would have you in the bacon for a very very long time.

I think they called it HOG-ZILLA. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just be careful out there I some pictures of a pig-beast creature that would have you in the bacon for a very very long time.

Not sure I would want to take one of those if it were a wild/feral pig. The meat is not the same as in a farm raised pig. These were small enough so they looked like they would be good. Now maybe a big one for a trophy/bragging rights would be good however I was out for meat in my own backyard. God I love living in the country.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I went out to throw some fish feed on the pond this morning after getting back from taking the kids to school (like every morning) and off to the left side of the pond I catch some movement. Well I look closer and there are two feral pigs (medium sized) just standing there. I try to quietly and slowly go back in the house and they don't spot me. I go in and remember the rifle is in the safe and unloaded and start cussing (quietly). I get it out as quietly as possible load it and head back out only to see the tail end of one disappear into the brush next to the woods. It was not running so I did not spook it. I wait a bit and no more action. I think from here out I will be riding with the rifle and then head out back to sit a bit every morning because I can use some sausage and roasts (If I don't just cook up a whole one). Anyone got a spare bag of corn so I can start fattening them up?

Hope it's a young one your going to eat,,,,,I shot one in Clarkrange Tn. years back & the guide/owner ask me if I'm going to eat what I shoot. I said yes, he recommended a 100 pounder or under, I shot a 200+ pound Wild Bore with S&W 357 Mag, & I told him just go ahead and butcher it up, he made me sausages & roast > also a head mount. When my wife baked the 1st roast, the smell was so bad we had to leave the kitchen and quick, :eek: I wound up giving all of it away to everyone I wanted to play a joke on, yes I did get some prefered phones calls:D
I should of listened to him and shot a small one........all my sausage comes from (Bob Evans) now. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts

I saw the pic. of that Hog-Zilla,, that sucker was huge. Scary huge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope it's a young one your going to eat,,,,,I shot one in Clarkrange Tn. years back & the guide/owner ask me if I'm going to eat what I shoot. I said yes, he recommended a 100 pounder or under, I shot a 200+ pound Wild Bore with S&W 357 Mag, & I told him just go ahead and butcher it up, he made me sausages & roast > also a head mount. When my wife baked the 1st roast, the smell was so bad we had to leave the kitchen and quick, :eek: I wound up giving all of it away to everyone I wanted to play a joke on, yes I did get some prefered phones calls:D
I should of listened to him and shot a small one........all my sausage comes from (Bob Evans) now. ;)
I grew up around older guys many of whom hog hunted and some brought them back live to fatten up for a month or two the rest a hog was taken if the shot presented itself. Aside from that I grew up on a hog farm and while not the same I have to say if there is one thing I know it's hogs. First off the best is a young female before she has had the chance to breed, Second best is a young male before he has the chance to get his musk glands working, Third is a young female (usually better for sausage than a roast), Fourth is an older female (sausage only), and the Fifth is an old boar and they are only useful for trophys and ground up with meat of better hogs mixed in if that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the pic. of that Hog-Zilla,, that sucker was huge. Scary huge.
I think if that was in the back yard I would have hauled out the bigger gun and hid. :eek: Naw actually the big gun would drop him in his tracks and for bragging rights I would have had to take him.
Of course this assumes it was a wild one and not one that got loose or was brought into a "game preserve" for me to shoot. Not knocking paid hunting and such but some of those places go to the trouble of raising them in pens (or purchasing them) and setting them loose to "hunt".

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think if that was in the back yard I would have hauled out the bigger gun and hid. :eek: Naw actually the big gun would drop him in his tracks and for bragging rights I would have had to take him.
Of course this assumes it was a wild one and not one that got loose or was brought into a "game preserve" for me to shoot. Not knocking paid hunting and such but some of those places go to the trouble of raising them in pens (or purchasing them) and setting them loose to "hunt".
I agree pen raised critters is not the way to hunt. I'm a hunter and the time spent hunting is the important part, the getting something is the gravy and the eating of it is Heaven. Nothing like a good Elk steak!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree pen raised critters is not the way to hunt. I'm a hunter and the time spent hunting is the important part, the getting something is the gravy and the eating of it is Heaven. Nothing like a good Elk steak!!!!
well said...

getting our moose first morning of the season always seemed to diminish the "hunt"...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand there is nothing like a good hunt. However I also live in the South and to us a pig is table fare and not much more. Some of us trophy hunt them but most of us take a pig when they can rather than go out and "hunt" them. A lot of us also feel the same about deer here. The reason is there are so many of them and hunting season (for hogs is year round with WMA exceptions) runs from August 15th to January 1st with little to no limits and doe days galore. You can even run dogs to take deer and it is actually still considered odd to be a still hunter only although much more accepted now. I would understan it if I were hunting something like elk or moose which is a challenge but around here you kick some bushes and a deer will jump out.
My thoughts on the only taking wild game tend towards not hunting the "penned" critters more for the ethical standpoint rather than the hunt. Of course I have nothing agianst setting out a big corn pile and taking a deer or hog in my backyard however they are still wild and free and not tame and raised just to "hunt" them.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
How many of these people are still on here. What happened to them?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't know about anyone else, but Rupe is on here occasionally. He has so many different forums that he hits, that he only works his way around to us every couple of weeks. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts