JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gonna paint these myself. I bought used with major rock rash. Tried sand blasting but the chrome would not budge. I tried one in a chemical bath but still nothing(more to tell later) and tried one with a dremmel tool...after 10hrs of dremmel work and about 10 dreemel stones i had finished one rim!!!!!went and got self etching primer, color match paint, and clear coat. Preped wheel. Primered 4 layers. And ginished with 3 coats of paint...looked ok. But was way too dark! Called a local powdercoat place and they said to bring them by and they'd try...they had a HUGE sandblaster that got that stubborn chrome off no problem. Now back to the chemical story..i knew that when i put the rim in the bath that the acid was eating up something but just wasn't eating the chrome..once the chrome was off i found out that it was eating what was below the chrome. Can't use that wheel now which is why im looking for another.(found 3 that are shipping tomorrow so i'll have to backups when i tear up one). Picked them up today and they are amazing...gotta be looking at the old rash spot to tell and even then you really can't notice they were beat up! Im impressed..once my or fab rear corner armor gets in and my other wheels im dropping them off to get coated also....the color the used matches perfectly!...now if i can just find a deal on some 35s i can get them mounted and rdy for when the lift gets put on!

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
They turned out nice. Post a pic when you have them mounted, I'd like to see them with tires mounted.

·
Registered
561 Posts
post a picture the first time you scratch em too! They will look sick for sure, hopefully the finish hold up well for ya. Looks nice

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Shoulda just had them do some transparent pc over the chrome, gives off a hell of a colored shine. Kinda like anodized only as shiny as chrome.

Message spread by Paul Revere

1 - 7 of 7 Posts