JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snagged it for $200
a little rough, needs tires but should make a solid basis for an adventure trailer.
I wanted to use a G518 instead of a M416 because I wanted to use it as a tent platform for my 10x12 tent, the little 4x6 416 wasn't big enough, the 518 is 4x8.
The plan is to build a deck on top 10' long (letting it hang over the tongue 2') and then hinge decks to butterfly open and make a 10'x12' base for the tent to sit on.
That's the plan anyway, it may change during construction. :laughing:
I need wheels, gonna try to get away from tubes and 9.00x20s (yeah, it's got Dubs LOL), bolt pattern is 6x8.75 - anyone know of anything that will cross with?
Maybe some year 1ton pickup?
Anyway, it's an idea with a base to work from now :smokin:
So here's the crappy cell pic I took bringing it home on the bigger trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice looking platform to start the project with. Not the best picture, but from what we can see, not too much surface rust, etc. Wonder what the base weight is on a G518 vs M416, and any significant difference in axle/springs?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice looking platform to start the project with. Not the best picture, but from what we can see, not too much surface rust, etc. Wonder what the base weight is on a G518 vs M416, and any significant difference in axle/springs?
yeah I just grabbed a quick cell pic before I unloaded it, I'll post pics during the buildup
very little rust, just surface orange
has the blackout cat's eye tails and stuff - data plate is missing tho so no idea who the manuf was or the year (several companies made them for the military, ben-hur,nash,checker, etc)
You can see the white star and numbers through the white paint on the front
It's bigger than the 416 so it's a little heavier, and it has a major axle under it, but I can still pick it up while someone slides a wheel on or off :smokin:
416s are rated for 500lb payload, 518s are 1 ton.
Gotta get some different wheels, these are the same as on the deuce and half trucks and are 2 piece mankillers.
They like to come apart and decapitate people while airing up.
Eaton makes some steelies for it that use regular tubeless tires.

1/4 ton 416s use the same wheels/tires as MB Jeeps, 1ton 518s and up use the same 9.00x20 rolling stock as the deuce and a halfs and the other heavy military trucks - interchangable for flats in the field.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link, but havent been able to find any numbers anywhere yet

Here are some good pics finally
518-1.jpg
Cat eye blackout tails
518-tl.jpg
Fender was cracked
518 finder.jpg

did I mention the wheels were bloody HUGE?
518 wheel.jpg

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts