JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any photographers have a backpack recommendation for camera gear and supplies for day hikes and occasional overnight hikes/trips in the summer?

Also want it to hold a hydration pack (Camelback) and be somewhat light.

My top pick right now is the Venture 35 from Clik Elite, if you do a google search you can find it, not sure if I can link to it on this forum.

I've thought about adapting non-photography bags like a North Face or larger Camelback, but then it's a pain to get the camera out and they don't offer enough protection for expensive camera bodies and lenses.

I've looked at Lowepro, but they were too heavy and didn't have much room for additional gear other than camera supplies.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have a Camelbak Asymetrix20 and it's my favorite pack:

http://www.backcountry.com/camelbak-asymetrix-20-hydration-pack-3l

It's both a top and side loader so you can carry more stuff with better access.

They don't make it anymore but they have something similar now.

I also highly recommend getting the insulation kit for the water tube.

It's the best day pack I've ever owned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I have a new contender, bags made by fstop, I think the website is fstopgear.com, trying to decide between the tilopa bc or the satori. They have a great modular system plus room for a 100oz water bladder and even my 17"mbp, which would be great for business trips.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Any photographers have a backpack recommendation for camera gear and supplies for day hikes and occasional overnight hikes/trips in the summer?

Also want it to hold a hydration pack (Camelback) and be somewhat light.

My top pick right now is the Venture 35 from Clik Elite, if you do a google search you can find it, not sure if I can link to it on this forum.

I've thought about adapting non-photography bags like a North Face or larger Camelback, but then it's a pain to get the camera out and they don't offer enough protection for expensive camera bodies and lenses.

I've looked at Lowepro, but they were too heavy and didn't have much room for additional gear other than camera supplies.
I used to carry a Lowepro Mini Trekker but like you mentioned it doesn't leave room for other items. I just picked up a Mountainsmith Borelias AT. I haven't taken it hiking but I like it much better. It's a bit bigger and has plenty of room for other gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Tamrac backpack and it is just nice. There are a lot of options you could get for it to fit 2 bodies and some lenses. Though if I have to go light, I usually just go with a versatile body and just bring 2 to 3 lenses to get the job done.

What I like about it is that it is so compact and does not bulge leaving risk areas for the gear to be damaged. Though there are a lot of other options in the market you can check out, this is just out from my personal experience with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts