JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switched from the 35" x 12.50 r17 (actual height = 33 3/4") BFG KM2's, to 37" x 12.50 r17 (actual height = 36 7/8") MTR Kevlars.

The KM2 was likely worn down from about 34", and the 37's are only aired up to 32 lbs, so depending on rim width and pressure, they may in some scenarios be a true 37".

The ride is amazing on road. Didn't take much weight to balance. Surprisingly quieter than my smaller KM2's. Haven't had them off road yet due to the need to trim the pinch-seams and rock-rails.

Much more coming in this build.......soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
The size difference in those photo is almost none (i realize the air and weight part). The MTR's are really nice compared to KM2's. Mine had almost no weights on 3 of the 5 tires! Very quiet on road. Very grippy of road.

Any desires yet to regrear?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The size difference in those photo is almost none (i realize the air and weight part). The MTR's are really nice compared to KM2's. Mine had almost no weights on 3 of the 5 tires! Very quiet on road. Very grippy of road.

Any desires yet to regrear?
Well the difference was 2 1/8". Enough for me to certainly be happy with the choice.

I'm re-gearing next week to 5:13's. I'm happy with that choice with a 2 door & manual transmission. I am surprised that the current 4:88's don't feel too bad on the street. Backing up an incline, I had to rev a little more than normal, but they have been fine around town. I could have gone to 5:38's, but with the manual, I'm sure the 5:13's will be fine.

We will be replacing the shocks and springs with Poly Performance Synergy shocks and progressive-rate 4.0's.

We will pull the front axle and do an outer Poly Performance sleeve and truss, new shock mounts, change to a 3-link set up, possibly extended the bump-stops (we'll see), replace the upper control-arm bushings, install bar-pin eliminators in the rear, trim the rear pinch-seam and rock rail, add a rebuilt PSC steering box, add a EVO sector-shaft brace, and possibly put in an Or-Fab sport cage.

*ALASHA- You are going to love these tires. :)

Thanks Zack. Just trying to keep up ya' know....

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Well the difference was 2 1/8". Enough for me to certainly be happy with the choice.

I'm re-gearing next week to 5:13's. I'm happy with that choice with a 2 door & manual transmission. I am surprised that the current 4:88's don't feel too bad on the street. Backing up an incline, I had to rev a little more than normal, but they have been fine around town. I could have gone to 5:38's, but with the manual, I'm sure the 5:13's will be fine.

We will be replacing the shocks and springs with Poly Performance Synergy shocks and progressive-rate 4.0's.

We will pull the front axle and do an outer Poly Performance sleeve and truss, new shock mounts, change to a 3-link set up, possibly extended the bump-stops (we'll see), replace the upper control-arm bushings, install bar-pin eliminators in the rear, trim the rear pinch-seam and rock rail, add a rebuilt PSC steering box, add a EVO sector-shaft brace, and possibly put in an Or-Fab sport cage.

*ALASHA- You are going to love these tires. :)

Thanks Zack. Just trying to keep up ya' know....
:laughing::laughing::laughing: What you mean keep up??? Why not just wait up. Your out running me!! What you want for those 4:88's???? Pm me if you want to sell them.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:laughing::laughing::laughing: What you mean keep up??? Why not just wait up. Your out running me!! What you want for those 4:88's???? Pm me if you want to sell them.
You're crazier than me! (at least till next month when the JK's paid off :D )

I can't hardly wait for the phase 5 build- LS1, coilovers, RockKrawler Triple Threat, chromo shafts/ 35 spline or RCV's, 5;38's, 38's, 1350's, River Raider corners & flares, suspension seats, all new axle brackets, s t r e t c h e d, etc.....

Thanks Zack. The gears have really low miles, not many trail miles- and the mesh was dead-nuts. I'll let 'em go cheap. They should be avail next week or the following week.

I'll either be at Trees or K2 the last weekend of Sept. maybe you can get 'em then.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You're crazier than me! (at least till next month when the JK's paid off :D )

I can't hardly wait for the phase 5 build- LS1, coilovers, RockKrawler Triple Threat, chromo shafts/ 35 spline or RCV's, 5;38's, 38's, 1350's, River Raider corners & flares, suspension seats, all new axle brackets, s t r e t c h e d, etc.....

Thanks Zack. The gears have really low miles, not many trail miles- and the mesh was dead-nuts. I'll let 'em go cheap. They should be avail next week or the following week.

I'll either be at Trees or K2 the last weekend of Sept. maybe you can get 'em then.
Cool, mine will be paid off in March. Then watch out!! I want the gears but dont know if I can make a run this month. Pm me a price and I will set back the money, and come see ya! Either that or maybe get ya to ship them. Cheers and congrats on all the cool new upgrades, oh and new truck too!!

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Stu - that thing looks sick on 37s"! I'll be interested on a long term report on the MTRs. You've got some cool mods planned. And dang, you guys with almost paid off JKs! I have almost 2 years to go on my note. I'm doing the River Raider cage in a few weeks:beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu - that thing looks sick on 37s"! I'll be interested on a long term report on the MTRs. You've got some cool mods planned. And dang, you guys with almost paid off JKs! I have almost 2 years to go on my note. I'm doing the River Raider cage in a few weeks:beer:
Thanks. :beer:

I would so much rather have the RR cage, but going to have to go with the Or-Fab for now. Oh and my JK told me that it felt tiny sitting next to yours....so I HAD to do the 37's. :D

Hey- I paid a lot down on my JK, so that's why I had low payments and was able to kill the note off pretty quick. :)

If you can, maybe do a write-up on the RR install. Not sure I have seen a write-up on the 2 dr.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Thanks. :beer:

If you can, maybe do a write-up on the RR install. Not sure I have seen a write-up on the 2 dr.
Yeah I'm gonna do a real detailed photo shoot of the install. I'm gonna get advice from Joe (bodyguy) about painting it. Powder coat pre install then touch up welds or install then shoot it.

I picked RR mostley because it messes up the interior the least. I'm doing K2 at the end of the month - hope to see you there.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
And dang, you guys with almost paid off JKs! I have almost 2 years to go on my note./QUOTE]

Man I have been throwing about $700 a month to my jeep payment trying to get it paid off!! I Hate paying on anything very long!!

Stub if you do decide to sell me the gears, then take your time I am in no hurry and can wait for them.. Thanks Bro!:beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And dang, you guys with almost paid off JKs! I have almost 2 years to go on my note./QUOTE]

Man I have been throwing about $700 a month to my jeep payment trying to get it paid off!! I Hate paying on anything very long!!

Stub if you do decide to sell me the gears, then take your time I am in no hurry and can wait for them.. Thanks Bro!:beer:
That's fine. I'll keep 'em oiled up and seal 'em in a plastic box so they don't rust.

.....oh, and $153 a month. :D

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That's fine. I'll keep 'em oiled up and seal 'em in a plastic box so they don't rust.

.....oh, and $153 a month. :D
For the GEARS??? Just kidding :beer: Dang a good low payment. I have just been throwing extra at mine.

Got to hit the hay,,,Pm me when you decide Stub. I have the money but just am in no hurry, so don't rush on your part.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks nice! I like seeing all the MTRs floating around. They will get a little noisier but they aren't bad.

What are you doing with those 35s?
PM sent.

Joe said he might want the 35's for a future project- but not sure. If he doesn't take them, I'm going to let them go cheap. You're welcome to them if he doesn't take them.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
PM sent.

Joe said he might want the 35's for a future project- but not sure. If he doesn't take them, I'm going to let them go cheap. You're welcome to them if he doesn't take them.
No worries my man! Let me know on the tires when you know more. I'm excited about your build!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really like the look with the 37s. I am undecided about my next tire size, 37, 39.5 or 40? 39.5 and 40 scare me, I'm going to break more things. I do plan to finallly regear to 5.38, gusset, sleeve and shaft my D44s before going any larger.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like the look with the 37s. I am undecided about my next tire size, 37, 39.5 or 40? 39.5 and 40 scare me, I'm going to break more things. I do plan to finallly regear to 5.38, gusset, sleeve and shaft my D44s before going any larger.
Thanks. It's a good look I think.

Even with 37's, we are going to have to pull the axle- sleeve it and add some other reinforcements. I am going with a truss too- because I saw a JK with inner and outer sleeves, that was starting to crack at the differential.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts