JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going out to the camp with my wife for an anniversary weekend away from the house. The top is down right now and I want to leave it down if I can, but we have three large dogs and I'd never forgive myself if one jumped out.

Do you guys leash your dogs in the Jeep or are they generally smart enough to stay put? I've never been one to put them in the bed of the truck either, so I'm nervous about it.

What do you guys do to restrict the dogs from doing something stupid in the Jeep?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Going out to the camp with my wife for an anniversary weekend away from the house. The top is down right now and I want to leave it down if I can, but we have three large dogs and I'd never forgive myself if one jumped out.

Do you guys leash your dogs in the Jeep or are they generally smart enough to stay put? I've never been one to put them in the bed of the truck either, so I'm nervous about it.

What do you guys do to restrict the dogs from doing something stupid in the Jeep?
I used to use a leash tied to the floor but then I bought the smittybilt cargo nets and they work great, my lab is much happier being able to move around and I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In the JK my hard top is always on so I got him a chest harness and leave a short leash attached to the sport bar, secure him using that. In my YJ I did the same thing but had a Smittybilt net system style top to keep him in.

You can kinda see it in this pic of the YJ.

Use the same idea in the JK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made my own nets similar to Raingler nets.
Divider between rear and rear seat, sides and following rear sport cage down.
With top folded keeps our two dogs contained, they are happy they can see out, feel the breeze, and talk to other dogs, all contained and safe.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I got a couple of these from REI:

Here is the link www.rei.com

They are really helpful in keeping my dogs from roaming around and bothering me. Well, one dog does that... the other dog is extremely lethargic but I had to get him one too so that the whiner has a companion in back seat prison. After a couple of trips they got the routine. Now they just snuggle up or sit and look out the window.

I used to have a regular chest harness strapped in with a leash, but then I got to thinking; what happens if we were to get into an accident? The slack would allow the dog to travel, only to be yanked back down.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I use safari straps with a leash and chest harness. I can run like that with no doors and my dog loves it. Doggles are a nice addition too, and gets him lots if attention from the other cars

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I use a seat belt like shown above. Its hard to use a leash because if they try to jump out they could hang themselves.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use a seat belt like shown above. Its hard to use a leash because if they try to jump out they could hang themselves.
That's why I went with the chest harness. Doofus got excited the other day and jumped out before I unhooked him. He looked pretty embarrassed just hanging there from the eyelet on his harness.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Good question. A group from our club drove to Tahoe and did the Rubicon back in '04. One couple have a Scramble and brought their three dogs. The dogs had had enough after about an hour and walked the rest of the way. Problem was they kept running in front of the Jeeps while we were trying to concentrate on obstacles, etc. One of them could easily have been injured, or worse, and it would have been impossible to get them timely assistance. One of our club members always takes his dog along and keeps him strapped in with a harness. Dave rolled suddenly on Moab Rim and claims the harness saved the dog's life.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My buddy uses the safari strap enclosure, that seems to be the best I think. I guess Im lucky, my dog is so lazy that as soon as hes in the jeep he falls asleep even bouncing along on the trail. But if an obsticle is sketchy I let him out incase something bad happens.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input guys! I decided to put the top on tonight and start looking for some good chest harnesses. The collars barely keep them on a leash at all, let alone if they'd decide they want out of the Jeep.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use carabiners one attached to the base of the seat belt and one on the dogs collar with nylon webbing set to a good length between the two. (Rock climbers use similar things called quick draws). I leave it just long enough so the dog can stick her head out the window and be a dog, but no longer than that.

I had a very bad experience as a kid when my buddies dog was leashed in the bed of a pickup...the leash was too long, but secure. The dog fully rehabbed.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
frank, my pug, and coco, my pitbull, are not allowed in the jeep together with the top down.... now frank used to ride with me, on small distance rides, with no top and no doors strapped into the seat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts