JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here experimented with turbo charging their JK? I've been doing some research and looking at HMT (Home Made Turbos) and I want to try to do a turbo after some more research. I ordered some books on turbos and engine management.

Mike

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
turbos make power at high rpm (gotta get it spinning)
most off roading needs low end/low rpm torque so turbo generally isnt the best option for a jeep

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
turbos make power at high rpm (gotta get it spinning)
most off roading needs low end/low rpm torque so turbo generally isnt the best option for a jeep
Perfect response.

I have a very good family friend with a very clean Rubicon TJ with the Kenne Bell super charger. Very rarely does he generate enough RPM's to build boost.

They are great for sand, worthless for rock crawling.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Perfect response.

I have a very good family friend with a very clean Rubicon TJ with the Kenne Bell super charger. Very rarely does he generate enough RPM's to build boost.

They are great for sand, worthless for rock crawling.
True,
but the JK needs help in the midrange. A turbo would help pull the mountain passes and camper trailers.
I've heard that the JK runs EGT's around 1300 degrees! May be something to consider when designing a turbo kit...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
True,
but the JK needs help in the midrange. A turbo would help pull the mountain passes and camper trailers.
I've heard that the JK runs EGT's around 1300 degrees! May be something to consider when designing a turbo kit...
Well good luck then!

One thing I'd think about is the trend for the states to follow CA when it comes to emissions requirements. Change a component or add a component and you are screwed.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Well good luck then!

One thing I'd think about is the trend for the states to follow CA when it comes to emissions requirements. Change a component or add a component and you are screwed.
Yeah, personally I wouldn't DIY turbo this extremely fussy engine/management system.
I've seen 3 cooked 3.8's laying on the shop floor of a certain supercharger company... but they were backed by Chryco while blowing up engines.:laughing:

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
CO4LO

Contact Perry at RIPP for the tuning. He is the man to do the job! Turbo's make sense for the JK motor since it likes to rev! Just don't run too much boost into the motor or "BOOM"! They have roughly a 10:1 compression anyway. With a turbo and some real boost you might even be able to get some real power out of E85 if it is tuned right!

Rock Krawler

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
CO4LO

Contact Perry at RIPP for the tuning. He is the man to do the job! Turbo's make sense for the JK motor since it likes to rev! Just don't run too much boost into the motor or "BOOM"! They have roughly a 10:1 compression anyway. With a turbo and some real boost you might even be able to get some real power out of E85 if it is tuned right!

Rock Krawler
No way man! My junk is still under warranty.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Has anyone here experimented with turbo charging their JK? I've been doing some research and looking at HMT (Home Made Turbos) and I want to try to do a turbo after some more research. I ordered some books on turbos and engine management.

Mike
The dynamics of a turbo end up being very unpredictable when loaded up - all to often you'll find them over boosting at the wrong time... keeping in mind the way Jeeps are loaded off road. Secondly that makes tuning very difficult as fuel enrichment will funnel in with boost based enrichment and likely run fat as apposed to a system like ours which only fuels when all three factors (Boost, RPM and TPS) are in line. Turbo's have their place - but in our professional opinion (trying to put aside our position based on product) the JK is best equipped with the large centrifugal. This comes fueled by many angles... price, ease of install, ease of maintenance, fuel mileage and replacement parts. We put our kits together to go 100000 miles - turbos simply don't last that long... and that's the plain and simple truth.

We would be glad to engage is a technical discussion for those interested as we have ext4ensive knowledge of both. Our speed shop has over 18 years of turbo experience with small displacement being the primary business. We choose to go with a supercharger for reasons we can explain.

RIPPTECH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts