JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm deciding on a performance chip so I would like to see if any vendors have a deal on any of them. I'm thinking the Hypertech Max Energy. I'll by right away if anyone is better priced than the next guy. Right now it's 379.00 with free shipping that's got my interest.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It appears that the "other" forum has over 235 pages with sheeple complaining about the hypertech...doesn't instill confidence in me....:shaking:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I purchased Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer last week and found a marked improvement in performance.

I have a 08 Rubicon Unlimited, Auto, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 37" M/T's on 17" wheels and 5:13 gears.

There are a number of things you can do to customize your settings. Top speed limiter,engine rev limiter, trans shift points and firmness, cooling fan on/off temps to match thermostat rating. You can also change back to stock settings. It also comes programed for regular and premium fuel.

For now, I chose the programed setting for regular fuel. The result is better performance at highway speed. No more bogging down going up hills and having to shift into D2. Offroad, I noticed I didn't have to use my brakes going down hill as I did before so I wouldn't run into the rig in front of me.

I considered having the dealership recalibrate for tire size and gears. They offered no guarantee that I would see a difference and I just don't trust them anyway. Also considered Unichip, but because AFE CAI is not included in their programs, I would have to go to a tunning center which would cost an additional $150.00 - $300.00.

Very happy with Hypertech so far.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There are a number of things you can do to customize your settings. Top speed limiter,engine rev limiter, trans shift points and firmness, cooling fan on/off temps to match thermostat rating. You can also change back to stock settings. It also comes programed for regular and premium fuel.
i thought you couldnt program shift points with it... I thought some vendor said so. The only reason it says it on websites is because for some models you can.

Now if it has change that is awesome and I want one!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
i thought you couldnt program shift points with it... I thought some vendor said so. The only reason it says it on websites is because for some models you can.

Now if it has change that is awesome and I want one!

I humbley apologize. ( tail between legs ) :blush: I ran the program again and shift point/ rev limiter options are not available. However; I'm still pleased with improvement in performance.

Sorry for the false info.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I humbley apologize. ( tail between legs ) :blush: I ran the program again and shift point/ rev limiter options are not available. However; I'm still pleased with improvement in performance.

Sorry for the false info.
I was getting a little excited! O well, maybe soon they will make it available and send out a free upgrade software or something for those who have bought it already

·
Registered
401 Posts
The only shift point change is do to the correction of gearing and tire size.
I do like mine for the speedo correction and performance improvement though.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I was looking at JKBoard and found this post. Sort of alarming if true, and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be as its made by a reseller...

I have stopped selling and installing The Hypertech Max Energy Part #52001 to any of my customers. I have this thing with not selling a new to market part to my customers unless I try it FIRST. So I got one for the "shop"
JK (07, auto Rubi W 5.13 gears) and installed it. Well, It worked great for 1 week.. Speedo was DEAD on, everything was working Perfect. The wife was driving it one day and I asked her to pay attention to how it drove, didnt tell her what I did to it. About 4 hours later, she calls me and asked "why in the h e l l I changed axle gears AGAIN". I replied with "what are you talking about??" So she goes on to tell me that its at 5200 rpm @ 65 mph when she is driving down the freeway. OH CRAP! So I tell her to have AAA tow it to the shop so I can look at it. A few hours later it gets back to the shop, and I take it for a drive. SUre enough,its locked in 2nd gear. Back to the shop, stick the Snap-on MODIS on it to check out what is going on. 12 CODES!! 12 really bizzare codes too. All of them were transmission and ABS codes. Read and cleared all codes, then drove it again. 1st gear slipped, then it banged into 3rd gear, then locked into 2nd. Observed line pressure on the scanner and it was maxxed out! WTF?? Okay, at this point I realize its time to take it to the dealer for *hopefully* a warranty. I have bought many (12-15) vehicles from this certain dealership, so I am in pretty good with the service writer, PLUS our shop does JK lifts for them too. After 7 days, it was taken care of for me. A Complete new trans (Find out that the programmer caused the 1-2 shift solonoid to over pressureize, blowing the "o" ring seal, and smoked the clutches to the point where it damaged the trans case itself. It also corrupted the PCM and TCM too, so both of those were replaced also. Hypertech has not returned ANY of my telephone calls (and AO is a dealer for them too, how good is that??). I have since pulled the 8 that were on my shelf untill I hear from them. I am not holding my breath. I have since double checked the version updates, and as of 06-18-08 it is still the curent updates.

Joe
Absolute Offroad
And a follow up post:

Yeah, I was not real happy wiht the whole thing. And to be honest, If we didnt do all of thier lifts for them, gears for them, I doubt it would have happened. The $$ amount I was quoted was 7800!!!
As soon as I came home from the dealer, I called the 6 customers that had bought them from us and gave them thier $$ back. Now, I am just waiting to send them allback to them. Argh.... In a way, I am kinda glad it happened to me, instead of one of my good customers....

Joe

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
And no one appears concerned that there are over 250 pages from the "other" forum of problems, after problems, etc., ad nauseum...good post Ipe...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts