JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Chip would you recommend for a 08 Stock JK? Looking to improve overall performance. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend any of them just because pretty much everyone who has one has said performance and mpg gains were minimal at best....

But with that said if I HAD to pick one, Hypertech.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
chip no, programmer yes, my Jet chip did pretty much nothing. Same as my t-body spacer.
seems as though gains with chips are negligible at best, while people with the hypertech programmers are at least reporting SOME help, dyno charts confirm some gains as well. The flexibility to change tire size, etc and the ability to get future updates via the net are always a good thing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree, forget the chip. I know people have had success with programmers. I will eventually get a progrmammer to correct the speedo etc, but not so much for performance. I really think any performance mod on the 3.7 is worthless, unless you go whole hog and get a supercharger. My biggest performance gains came from a re-gear.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Weren't people having problems with their speedo's quitting with the Hypertec? And does the Hypertec make adjusting shift points in the auto possible? This, and tire size correction is really the only reason I'd want one.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Weren't people having problems with their speedo's quitting with the Hypertec? And does the Hypertec make adjusting shift points in the auto possible? This, and tire size correction is really the only reason I'd want one.
You can't adjust the shift points yourself, but it does adjust them for you and does a good job. I have an Hypertech Max Energy programmer and really like it, and for me it was worth it.

You could use a Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator for now, which is upgradeable, and then if/when shift points become an adjustable feature you could upgrade it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am interested in the hypertech with regards to shift points. You said that it did it well, did you notice a big change? Any input would help, it is the next item on my "to do" list.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
It's hard to say how much it improves them, as the change from correcting tire size and gear ratio is quite big, but I definitely "feel" an improvement.

I've been running the Premium program the last few days, and there is quite a distinct change in shift points, they are definitely higher than on the Regular gas program.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
It's hard to say how much it improves them, as the change from correcting tire size and gear ratio is quite big, but I definitely "feel" an improvement.

I've been running the Premium program the last few days, and there is quite a distinct change in shift points, they are definitely higher than on the Regular gas program.
I've been curious about this. I switched to the premium program awhile back and was wondering if anyone else was doing it given the price or premium gas.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've been curious about this. I switched to the premium program awhile back and was wondering if anyone else was doing it given the price or premium gas.
I switched to the premium as I wondered if the small increase in performance may result in a small increase in mpg, but I can't say that is the case. However, for the last few days I've been running regular gas on the premium program with no knocking at all.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I switched to the premium as I wondered if the small increase in performance may result in a small increase in mpg, but I can't say that is the case. However, for the last few days I've been running regular gas on the premium program with no knocking at all.
That's interesting. I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does the 3.8L have a knock sensor? If so it's not surprising, the ecu would retard timing to deter any knock that was detected. Knock/Detonation has to be pretty bad before it's audible without a listening device.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts