JKOwners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
This plug has an interesting story. This plug is used both on the SS fan and the Pentstar fan so you'd think it would be easy to get. Early on we tried Digikey, Mouser.... to no avail. We considered just using a HD 3 terminal connector but then the customer would have to cut and crimp. We tried to purchase the connector through the manufacturers but neither would sell to us as they claimed it was a propitiatory connector; whatever seemed stupid.

To make a short story long it was John at Overland Performance that approached the actual supplier in Europe and purchased the components, he had to purchase a large quantity so we went in with him. Give John at Overland Performance a call, if he can't help you get one we will. I was hoping they would be available by now but since we have many in stock I haven't looked.
Thanks for the information, should be stopping by the shop later today myself.

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting topic about the Pentastar fan. I don't currently have a LS swap but have a 2014 JKUR which I using for towing a 2700 lb trailer out here in the hot west (Sacramento). When going up long and steep grades in ambient temps over 95, I can see temps on the EVIC go up over 240. If I try to keep speed, the vehicle will go into limp mode whcih limits RPMs to around 4000 and then it cools rapdily. I attribute some of the problem to having 4.10s with Wrangle Duratracs (34.4) casuing engine RPMs to jump above 5000 for a prolonged period, but I don't think that is the whole story. I did have some Drake off-road inserts in the grill whcih I have since removed. It has not been warm enough as of yet to see if the insert removal will make a difference. I have read and observed that the Pentastar fan really does not kick on until 210, and does not reach full duty cycle until the temp is 226. A company called HPTuners makes a tuner that you can reprogram the fan to reach full duty cycle at any temp you choose. I have read that another Jeeper was successful in aleviating his over heating issues by reprogramming the fan to reach full duty at 214. So MoTech having all this expereince with the Pentastar fan, do you think this would be an effective strategy to keep the stock Pentastar from overheating and going into limp mode while towing out here in California?
Appreciate your input:grin2: (PS about 4 years from an LS swap)

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Interesting topic about the Pentastar fan. I don't currently have a LS swap but have a 2014 JKUR which I using for towing a 2700 lb trailer out here in the hot west (Sacramento). When going up long and steep grades in ambient temps over 95, I can see temps on the EVIC go up over 240. If I try to keep speed, the vehicle will go into limp mode whcih limits RPMs to around 4000 and then it cools rapdily. I attribute some of the problem to having 4.10s with Wrangle Duratracs (34.4) casuing engine RPMs to jump above 5000 for a prolonged period, but I don't think that is the whole story. I did have some Drake off-road inserts in the grill whcih I have since removed. It has not been warm enough as of yet to see if the insert removal will make a difference. I have read and observed that the Pentastar fan really does not kick on until 210, and does not reach full duty cycle until the temp is 226. A company called HPTuners makes a tuner that you can reprogram the fan to reach full duty cycle at any temp you choose. I have read that another Jeeper was successful in aleviating his over heating issues by reprogramming the fan to reach full duty at 214. So MoTech having all this expereince with the Pentastar fan, do you think this would be an effective strategy to keep the stock Pentastar from overheating and going into limp mode while towing out here in California?
Appreciate your input:grin2: (PS about 4 years from an LS swap)
Both the Pentstar and Camaro SS fans are far superior tot he discrete, DC, unsealed, brushed, single wound(two speeds through a JK fan. Many Hemi applications run the Pentstar fan full time. The Pentstar fan(like the SS fan) is PWM controlled, an outrunner design for more torque and larger fan blade, brushless, sealed.....

The issue with these variable speed fans is if you run them to hard for too long they will overload. If you have a winch, lights, grille inserts, etc., in front of your grille once you get going down the highway most of the incoming air gets diverted over the hood. So at 80 mph you have the cooling fan screaming for hours to keep the engine cool. These fans can pull 350+ watts and I have seen the cables melt from the heat generated. We have upgraded to 8 and 6 gauge wire to help avoid this. The fans will shut down if worked too hard so the manufacturer needs to limit the fan output to work within the fans ability. The discrete DC fan motors had no logic and would run until they failed. We limit the duty cycle of these fans to between 80-85% to protect the fan module from overload. The solution if you have a heavy JK or tow is keep the grille obstructions to a minimum. Even screen mesh in the grille openings will cause surface tension creating a barrier deflecting the air flow over the hood. Don't run reduced opening grilles like angry eye grilles, sink the winch, put the lights outboard, put the license plate down below, run a manual condenser if possible and get rid of the useless trans cooler in the bottom of the automatic AC condenser.

I have seen Hemi's overheat with this fan but you can't wind the fan up more or it will fail. The Camaro SS fan seems to be more tolerant to shutdown than the Pentstar fan so I personally prefer it but it is not a drop in like the Pentstar.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The solution if you have a heavy JK or tow is keep the grille obstructions to a minimum. Even screen mesh in the grille openings will cause surface tension creating a barrier deflecting the air flow over the hood. Don't run reduced opening grilles like angry eye grilles, sink the winch, put the lights outboard, put the license plate down below, run a manual condenser if possible and get rid of the useless trans cooler in the bottom of the automatic AC condenser.
So I guess this is out of the question........

What dumbass would buy that..........

·
Registered
506 Posts
So I guess this is out of the question........

What dumbass would buy that..........
Lol That's crazy! DkJeep, I was able to get a plug connector from John at overland performance for my pentastar fan that I just bought. Call him and he will ship you one if you haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Lol That's crazy! DkJeep, I was able to get a plug connector from John at overland performance for my pentastar fan that I just bought. Call him and he will ship you one if you haven't found one yet.
I called him and it's 40 fucking dollars and does not include dick for wires. I'm a bad dude with a soldering iron. I believe I will just cut off the factory plug and extend the wires to the battery where I run a resetable relay and not a fusible link.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
I called him and it's 40 fucking dollars and does not include dick for wires. I'm a bad dude with a soldering iron. I believe I will just cut off the factory plug and extend the wires to the battery where I run a resetable relay and not a fusible link.
That sounds more like a "fuck you" price.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
John's a good guy and isn't taking advantage of anyone. You think you can find it cheaper have at it.
^^This, John isn't the kind of guy to price gouge ya, if he's selling it for that then it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Pull your panties out of your ass, nobody said shit about the guys ethics. The point is that I don't care if he is passing it straight across for what he paid. 1 little piece of plastic and 3 metal prongs that you have to assemble yourself isn't worth $40 especially considering its not even required.

·
Registered
506 Posts
^^This, John isn't the kind of guy to price gouge ya, if he's selling it for that then it is what it is.
X2 At first when he told me the price I was kinda shocked, but He had to actually call the supplier from England and buy a bunch of those in bulk to even get them. I wanted my stuff to look factory and to easily be able to pull the fan if needed, so I paid him what he wanted. Is he making a little off of me? Probably, but I don't care. He is a great guy and knows his stuff for sure! I will be getting a custom tune for my 6.0 and trans later this year from him also.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Ya ya did with the Fuck you price....
I was the one who said it sounded like a fuck you price, not DK. Maybe it was a bit harsh, but that's beyond ridiculous for a simple connector.

Buying in bulk generally brings the price down. Hate to see what they cost if you just bought one from the supplier.

The real question is why is Jeep and GM using this expensive, impossible to find connector?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Anyone have an update to this plug part #?

I called and left a message with John at Overland Performance. Hopefully they are still available. I'm good at running wires and soldering but having that factory look and able to quickly remove the fan if needed would be worth the $40. I've spent enough on everything else high end...what's one more?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts

I called and left a message with John at Overland Performance. Hopefully they are still available. I'm good at running wires and soldering but having that factory look and able to quickly remove the fan if needed would be worth the $40. I've spent enough on everything else high end...what's one more?
John will call you back, he always does!

·
Registered
506 Posts

Exactly my line of thinking also. I got my plug from John and got it all wired up! My temp hasn't gone over 200 yet with the new fan.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts