JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me why the pentastar fans are an "upgrade" for the LS swaps? Also, why is the pentastar fan $700 from Motech when the fan is ~$410 elsewhere? I need to upgrade the radiator and fan, but it seems the markup is a bit ridiculous. Are there other options?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's thinner and moves quite a bit more air. I picked up a brand new one for $360-ish on ebay. RPMEXTREME did the programming for no additional cost I just had to let them know I was changing to it from the regular fan in my 08' when I ordered my kit.

You only need to worry about this if you have a an 07 -11 model if you're 12 + you already have the pentastar fan.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It isn't just the hard parts. Also harnesses and programming. Call Robbie and let us all know exactly what is involved.
^This, so the cost is in the fan, harness, AND programming. The Motech site doesn't accurately reflect this so calling was absolutely beneficial. Moreover, since I have my tune from John at Overland Performance, the cost is actually a bit less for the kit since I won't need programming from Robbie. The video above shows the Pentastar fan and Motech has the harness for that fan with a few different radiator options (single pass versus dual pass). Motech also has a fan kit with the Camaro SS fan. Robbie informed me the best cooling performance comes from the Camaro SS fan and 52mm dual pass radiator. A note on this, since John (Overland Performance) has been supplying my tunes, he will need to provide me a new tune with the Camaro fan tables. Since I am towing in the mountains of Colorado I definitely need to ensure I keep things cool.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Let me tell you that doing this is an enormous upgrade!!! I cant even get it to hit above 215 if I try now. I used to get it to 240 with little effort. I cant recommend it enough. Amazing!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
^This, so the cost is in the fan, harness, AND programming. The Motech site doesn't accurately reflect this so calling was absolutely beneficial. Moreover, since I have my tune from John at Overland Performance, the cost is actually a bit less for the kit since I won't need programming from Robbie. The video above shows the Pentastar fan and Motech has the harness for that fan with a few different radiator options (single pass versus dual pass). Motech also has a fan kit with the Camaro SS fan. Robbie informed me the best cooling performance comes from the Camaro SS fan and 52mm dual pass radiator. A note on this, since I am John (Overland Performance) has been supplying my tunes, he will need to provide me a new tune with the Camaro fan tables. Since I am towing in the mountains of Colorado I definitely need to ensure I keep things cool.
I'm running a 6.0 and 6l80 and can't get it to not overheat over Eisenhower pass. How much are the tunes from overland costing you

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Can anyone tell me why the pentastar fans are an "upgrade" for the LS swaps? Also, why is the pentastar fan $700 from Motech when the fan is ~$410 elsewhere? I need to upgrade the radiator and fan, but it seems the markup is a bit ridiculous. Are there other options?
We support many radiator and fan set ups. On an early JK when you purchase the PWM fan upgrade it includes a new Mopar fan module(or SS) and a HD harness that we build. The Pentstar and Camaro SS fans can draw 70 amps so the leads go directly to the battery with a fusible link, we run 8 gauge cables. Then we program your ECM to drive the fan and there are several options here.

The advantage to the Pentstar fan is it drops right in with no mods and runs our standard coolant bottle mount. The SS fan requires a little modding but not much, if you purchase our HD radiator we will fit it for you. Both the Pentstar and the Camaro SS fans run about 19" blades(vs 17" on a 3.8 JK) with an outrunner ESC motor design meaning they can pull a lot more air. I prefer the SS fan, it's a little quieter and may be a little more powerful.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Robbie do you have a part number for the ss fan that you guys use? All I see are the dual fans on ebay.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a 6.0 and 6l80 and can't get it to not overheat over Eisenhower pass. How much are the tunes from overland costing you
Holy moly, really? We basically have the same build...what fan are you running? The one time I overheated was pulling 3500lb camper on my way to the sand dunes trucking up La Veta Pass. It was a hot ass day and I was pulling over to let it cool when it started stumbling on me. Took a nap in the camper and got back on the road. I didn't have any more problems after that. However, I definitely don't want it to happen again which is why I am upgrading the cooling system.

John is pretty reasonable on the tune. Shoot him an email or give him a call, details here, Home

·
Registered
506 Posts
GM just superseded the part # and increased the price(of coarse). The current part # is 84100128.
What would I need to modify to make it work on my 52mm radiator robbie? I'm pretty sure my computer is already set up for it to control the fan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll jump on with a positive review of the Pentastar fan. Robbie and the folks at Motech recently helped me change from a dual conventional fan setup (SRT fans) to the PWM Pentastar fan. It is absolutely amazing. As others, including Robbie, have mentioned it bolts right in, looks completely factory, and works really well. I never had an overheating issue with my LS3, but driving around at low speed my temps would get up to about 210-215 (completely normal). With the Pentastar fan, I think I've only seen it over 200 once or twice. Normal driving it stays at 190-200. It is quiet when idling, but has the potential to move a ton of air. I also have a vented hood, which helps remove some of the high pressure from the engine compartment when driving at highway speed, but the fan has definitely made a difference. With the huge fan blade, it leaves the back side of the radiator unobstructed, so air passes through more easily at highway speed. If you have heat issues, reach out to Robbie. He'll get you squared away!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just found the camaro fan online for 335.00 I wonder if I should go with that one over the pentastar fan? Anyone running that fan?

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
What would I need to modify to make it work on my 52mm radiator robbie? I'm pretty sure my computer is already set up for it to control the fan.
Just a couple of offset brackets and trim a bit of plastic. Our radiators will come with the SS mounts in the future. Make sure your ECM is set up for the SS fan and not the Pentstar the programming is different.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just a couple of offset brackets and trim a bit of plastic. Our radiators will come with the SS mounts in the future. Make sure your ECM is set up for the SS fan and not the Pentstar the programming is different.
Oh ok. Thats good to know. Maybe I will just go with the penastar fan then. I assume thats what you programed my computer for when I did my swap.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts