JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. as the title says, sometimes the parking brake lamp will come ON randomly... it will stay ON for a while, sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes, and then it will come OFF.... this will go on all day, and has been like this for the past week.... when it is ON and i pull the brake, the lamp will blink intermittently....

where should i start looking for the cause??

thanx!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
On most cars it means a low fluid situation. Look at the master cylinder and see hoe much fluid is there. If it is low, barring a leak, you probably need to start looking at doing your brakes. I would look at it sooner rather than later, simply because you don't want to grind the pads into the rotors.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The light has two functions.
It indicates the parking brake is applied.
It indicates a brake system fault.

Make sure there is nothing preventing the brake lever from being all the way down.
Check the brake fluid level.

·
Registered
570 Posts
yea you are low on brake fluid, probably because you need new pads.

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
yea you are low on brake fluid, probably because you need new pads.
. . . and if you decide to replace the pads, (attach a hose and) open the bleeder screw before you collapse each caliper (then close the bleeder) so you don't push your dirtiest brake fluid / moisture / rust / bad shit back upstream.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but brake fluid is waaay cheaper and easier to replace than any other part of the brake system.
Also, being hygroscopic, that brake fluid should be changed out at least as often as the pads (more often is great, & that shit's cheap).

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
. . . and if you decide to replace the pads, (attach a hose and) open the bleeder screw before you collapse each caliper (then close the bleeder) so you don't push your dirtiest brake fluid / moisture / rust / bad shit back upstream.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but brake fluid is waaay cheaper and easier to replace than any other part of the brake system.
Also, being hygroscopic, that brake fluid should be changed out at least as often as the pads (more often is great, & that shit's cheap).

DAMN,ExWrench . I guess I didn't understand the correct frequency of swapping out dot4 brake fluid was called-for ; that info may have just inadvertently helped me understand why I have less than stellar performance from new EBC pads and rotors ... So, nope; you weren't stating the obvious at all..I have changed pads about 4x on the '11 w/ 80k on it but only bled / changed out the brake fluid once. thanks for alerting me to my negligence. I knew the water degraded the bf but have neglected mine , from what you just said. Thanks
:nono:

srry, OP . No hijack attempt:jeep2:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Personally I believe in flushing the brake system out on a 2 year rotation. I have seen people have to do major rebuilds or replacement of high dollar braking system components because of not maintaining it. Moisture will tear a breaking system up and degrade the living hell out of breaking force. Water will compress to an extent where as Hydraulic fluid will not.

Same goes for cooling systems as well. As Antifreeze breaks down it will start to eat away at components in the cooling system. You will get galvanic corrosion because of all the dis similar metals in the Internal combustion engines.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx!!

as stated, my brake fluid level was too low. i filled the deposit and the light has not turned on again.

i will now check to see if the pads are worn out... they are not making any noise or anything, and i have not noticed any decrease in braking strenght, but i tow a boat a lot, so i will definitely check on the pads and fluid more often...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts