JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears I'll be making a pass through jkristie and Rooster's neck of the woods around mid June. E and I are spending a week down on Dauphin Island, AL with her family.

Originally she wanted to fly, but I convinced her 500 miles really isn't that far to drive....besides there is no way I'm spending a week with her family and not have my own wheels to leave at will......nor am I getting stuck for a week on a gulf island in June with some stupid compact KIA instead of my Jeep with the top off....:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
500 miles is nothing! Have fun.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Have a safe trip when ya go, that map brought back some old memories of when I lived in Jax, say hi to Pensacola for me when you pass by! I loved it there too!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
500 miles is nothing! Have fun.
Yea, her thing is time. She hates the idea of spending 9-10hrs on the road. I just told her:

"What difference does it really make, you sleep for 12-14 hrs on your days off anyway. So just sleep the 9-10 hrs that the drive takes and its cheaper than two plane tickets, long term parking, car rental, etc."

·
Registered
394 Posts
9-10 hours????
I can make it home to Enterprise Al. in 7hrs with a bathroom break and food stop.
Though I haven driven the Jeep up there yet...:grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
9-10 hours????
I can make it home to Enterprise Al. in 7hrs with a bathroom break and food stop.
Though I haven driven the Jeep up there yet...:grinpimp:
Me driving by myself, yea I can definitely cover more ground and rarely do I stop except for fuel/food. However with her, yea there will be at least 3 extra stops for restroom breaks....:laughing:

Google Maps has it listed as a 9 hr drive, so I figure between her and maybe a stop in Pensacola for a :beer: with the JKO/JUJC gang that should put me in at around 10-12hrs total.:D

·
Registered
660 Posts
From Destin it usually takes me 6 to 6 1/2 hours to Disney with my wife and 2 kids. In the Jeep. Thats at LEAST 4 bathroom/ food stops. So I would expect more like 7 1/2 hours depending on how fast you drive.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your buying! :beer:

Nice. I can't wait to meet this sick fuck!

Oh and see the "P" in Pensacola! That's where I live, so I might be able to thow beer cans at you while your on vacation!

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
If you want to take a minor scenic detour, you can get off the interstate in Pensacola, and drive along the beach from Perdido Key, Orange Beach Alabama, and Gulf Shores Alabama. Once you get to Gulf Shores, There is a really cool drive down to Fort Morgan, and they have a ferry that will take you across to Dauphin Island.

Plus we could hit the Flora Bama bar. Yep, you guessed it, a bar that half of it is in Florida and the other in Alabama! Place is a blast and a must see if you are headed this way!

http://www.florabama.com/index.php

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
SAWEET! Sounds like a ride is in order and if you dont have time at least lunch around crestview...
Any chance you might make a day trip into the Ft Morgan area? If not I'm sure I can plan a brunch stop in Crestview as it is a considerable distance from Perdido Key for you.

If you want to take a minor scenic detour, you can get off the interstate in Pensacola, and drive along the beach from Perdido Key, Orange Beach Alabama, and Gulf Shores Alabama. Once you get to Gulf Shores, There is a really cool drive down to Fort Morgan, and they have a ferry that will take you across to Dauphin Island.

Plus we could hit the Flora Bama bar. Yep, you guessed it, a bar that half of it is in Florida and the other in Alabama! Place is a blast and a must see if you are headed this way!

http://www.florabama.com/index.php
As it stands I think we'll be sticking to I-10, unless that is a vehicle ferry from Ft Morgan to Dauphin Island. If they do ferry vehicles then I'm all for a detour. We can't check into the beach house till 3pm on Saturday anyway so I already know we'll have plenty of time to kill.

I'm planning on bringing my bigger camera equipment so stopping to snap some cool shots of the fort would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Depending on the date, lunch could be in order. I'm right off the 17 Exit (west end of the I10 bridge).

Ron

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
James, thanks for the detour suggestion. The ferry only costs. $16.00 so I think I got her interest peaked with the old fort. Being an architect, buildings are to her what Jeeps are to us. Of course this will only make the fact that I haven't taken her to St Augustine even more of an issue. .:laughing:

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
It's really not that much of a detour either. Well if you don't have to wait on the ferry. Look forward to it.

I'll be on my best behavior. I promise

·
Registered
321 Posts
if you pass thru on sat or sunday i could do lunch in good ole crestucky. jeff could meet us up here. if it's during the week i'm on duty at eglin.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Packing up the Jeep tonight, heading out early tomorrow morning. The plan is to pass through Destin around Noon-ish and then hit Fort Morgan no later than 4 or 5pm.

James, let me know how you want to handle meeting up for these Rails as I AM BRINGING THEM and they are wrapped up in the back of the Jeep.

Jeff, if you read this, PM me a good Destin Lunch spot that is Pet friendly or at least possibly has a patio area so we can keep an eye on Matty.

That's right, Matty is getting to go on his first road trip/vacation. That means lot of new pics for his thread when we get back home. Which by the way will only be home for another two weeks. We just signed a lease on a central Orlando home so once we get back, we only have about 4 days to move.....accepting all volunteers!....:laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts