JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone paint their rims? i tried to search but couldnt fimd anything. i want to paint my stockers black, they are so scratched up anyway figured thye prob couldnt look any worse. if you did what kind of paint /prep did you do

·
Registered
449 Posts
I painted mine. I have a set of grand cherokee rims that I just cleaned , scuffed up and shot with rustoleum satin black. I have to touch them up once in a while after wheeling cause they get scratched on the rocks but I figure powder coating would get scraped off too. It was also really cheap to do it this way.

A

·
0 Posts
rustoleum satin black
I’m starting to spray just about everything I can with that stuff. It covers rust really well, is pretty durable and really easy to touch up (the best part). When I get the $ for bumpers I’m planning on having them delivered in bare steel and rattle canning them too.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I painted mine. I have a set of grand cherokee rims that I just cleaned , scuffed up and shot with rustoleum satin black. I have to touch them up once in a while after wheeling cause they get scratched on the rocks but I figure powder coating would get scraped off too. It was also really cheap to do it this way.
pics?

·
Registered
592 Posts
We got our Rubi stock wheel powdercoated black, they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Use powder coating. You will be much happier. I have a set that is getting powder coated satin black.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've painted rims black in the past, just cut the surface, clean with alcohol or similar and paint. The nice thing about painted rims is that are real easy to touch up when they get scratched up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Use powder coating. You will be much happier. I have a set that is getting powder coated satin black.
X2, if applied properly preceeded by correct surface prep you can't hardly knock it off with a hammer. Think of the enamel surface on your washer or dryer. Very close to that in durability.

·
Registered
900 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question but here goes anyway. Do you run any risk of damaging your wheels during the powdercoating process? I don't know much about it, but I do know that a significant amount of heat must be introduced in order to make the powder adhere (melt?, fuse?) and it seems to me that aluminum might not respond well. I am a lifelong motorcyclist and I remember several years back that there was great concern about powdercoating motorcycle wheels and some anecdotal evidence that it had caused catastrophic failure. :confused:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'm far from an expert on this subject, but I guess it depends on what they are made of, T-6 will crystallize around 400°F. As long as you use a cooler powder coating process, usually with powders that cure around 275°F, you will be fine. Anyone that is in the business of powder coating rims, should know exactly how to do it correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
use a common spray paint. I like Rustoleum professional (big silver can), it covers great and is durable.

Powdercoating is nice but you are just going to scratch them up again and use a spray can anyway :laughing: :thefinger:

·
Registered
242 Posts
X2, if applied properly preceeded by correct surface prep you can't hardly knock it off with a hammer. Think of the enamel surface on your washer or dryer. Very close to that in durability.

If I drug my washer or dryer over a rock I'm pretty sure the coating would chip quite easily.

I think I'll go with the color in a can.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
My opinion:

• Spray paint is much cheaper then powder coat.
  • Powder coat (in general) looks better then paint. Although, done right paint can look just as good. I have painted wheels in the past and put a clear coat of Ceramic clear and most peole asked me where I had them powder coated at.
  • Powder coat is more durable and will look better longer.
  • Powder coat resists rock chips from small rocks flying up. Paint will get little chips during the winter. Although again, when I used the ceramic clear coat I did not get chips for a couple of years.
  • When your wheel rubs against a rock offroad, it does not matter if it is paint or powder coat it will scrape the same.
  • Some material like roots and thick mud may not scrape powder coat but the same stuff could scrape the paint.
  • If you are at a point with a scraped up powder coated wheel it is expensive to have re coated
  • If you have scraped up painted wheels, sand for a few minutes, recoat and you wont be able to tell.
So in the end, I belive powder coat will be more durable. However, when you consider the ease and cost of repairing painted wheels to powder coat it just isn't worth it. The key variable though is being offroad. If you do not go off road or off forest roads then powder coat. If you are on trails and often scrape your wheels then paint. The other variable is cost. If you are rich then powder coat and re powder coat when needed. If you are a tight wad and lazy like me then paint, save one can and touch them up once in a while lol

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i painted them last weekend, came out pretty good, my masking wasent perfect but not bad. i also got some badges for the sides where they are supposed to be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts