JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am getting close to pulling out the hard top, I am also thinking to paint the inside now that the opportunity presents itself.

I have seen threads on painting it black so no questions on technique or paint - just color.....

I was almost going to default to black (probably satin rustoleum 2x) but then started wondering if that would make things to claustrophobic. Most interior tops are a neutral color, now that I think about it (grey or taupe, for example).

Has anyone with a black interior gone for something like a neutral or darker shade of grey?

Does anyone who painted it black have any regrets?

thanks

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Does anyone who painted it black have any regrets?
Nope, no regrets. I considered using the dark gray that I used on parts of my cage, but decided that it would still be visible.

The difference from white to black is drastic, bordering on freaky: you no longer see the inside of the top.
I was literally distracted for a day or two by the lack of "busyness" in my peripheral vision.

I just posted pics today of the black interior in my thread - check 'em out. Camera doesn't do it justice, but all you see now is out the windows.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the layer of paint might impede heat transfer. Maybe both ways?

Not sure the color will have any affect on heat radiating downward.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Does it get any hotter with the inside painted black ? (stupid question I know)
I'm pretty sure it that the higher emissivity of a black surface outweighs any insulating properties a layer of paint provides.

. . . but I can't confirm, because I did this:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I think that the layer of paint might impede heat transfer. Maybe both ways?

Not sure the color will have any affect on heat radiating downward.
Have seen lots of people paint the outside of the hardtop white to help combat heat. Makes it a little more reflective and doesn't soak up heat as bad. Could maybe even go with silver for more reflectivity.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have seen lots of people paint the outside of the hardtop white to help combat heat. Makes it a little more reflective and doesn't soak up heat as bad. Could maybe even go with silver for more reflectivity.
I am still on the fence about that since the top will only be on for the cooler months of the year.

Is silver supposed to be better than plain white?

There is also Hy-Tech Bus Kote #2150 but it is not clear how much more effective it is than regular white paint.
http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html

Love my black interior hardtop. Best $16.44 I have spent. A must for all hardtop owners.
does this necessarily imply that you got the job done with 2 rattle cans? :)

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I am still on the fence about that since the top will only be on for the cooler months of the year.
My $.02: If you don't have any heat issues pissing you off, it's not worth your time to change what ya' got.
I run my hard top more than not, and 140 degree skull-cooking heat :pissed: searing my eyes into jerky motivated me.
I guarantee you that, had there not been an annoying problem to solve, my lazy ass woulda' left well enough alone. :laughing:

Is silver supposed to be better than plain white?
Unless you mirror it out, a bright white should have lower absorptivity than a silver, but the difference is pretty minimal.
:idea: Paint the whole top silver, then the body, then put on H2 fender badges :thefinger:
:bounce:Oh, and 20's :thefinger:
Oh, and spinners! :thefinger:​

There is also Hy-Tech Bus Kote #2150 but it is not clear how much more effective it is than regular white paint.
Probably a tiny bit better at reflecting light energy and repelling heat, but worse at withstanding branch abrasion than spray enamel.
My vote went to plain ol' Krylon from Ace Hardware (I avoid Rustoleum, personal preference).
3 years later, a good re-shoot of the white, adding some satin clear over, and I'm ignoring it again for a couple years.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My $.02: If you don't have any heat issues pissing you off, it's not worth your time to change what ya' got.
I run my hard top more than not, and 140 degree skull-cooking heat :pissed: searing my eyes into jerky motivated me.
I guarantee you that, had there not been an annoying problem to solve, my lazy ass woulda' left well enough alone. :laughing:

Unless you mirror it out, a bright white should have lower absorptivity than a silver, but the difference is pretty minimal.
:idea: Paint the whole top silver, then the body, then put on H2 fender badges :thefinger:
:bounce:Oh, and 20's :thefinger:
Oh, and spinners! :thefinger:​

Probably a tiny bit better at reflecting light energy and repelling heat, but worse at withstanding branch abrasion than spray enamel.
My vote went to plain ol' Krylon from Ace Hardware (I avoid Rustoleum, personal preference).
3 years later, a good re-shoot of the white, adding some satin clear over, and I'm ignoring it again for a couple years.
prolly not going to monkey with the outside since I will be wanting the extra heat when it is on.

I'm sold on doing the inside and will look into those head liner things. $400 is a lot, though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sold on doing the inside and will look into those head liner things. $400 is a lot, though.
Just bought the Mopar complete 4dr hardtop head liner kit on eBay from Steve White motors...Chrysler a jeep dealer in N Carolina....for $215. Half the price of my local Tampa area dealers prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts