JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few pics where guys have a BLACK jeep emblem on the front grill...

What are you using to paint the jeep emblem black?
Are you taking off the emblem and painting it?
Are you just buying a black emblem off the internet or somewhere?

Just curious on how this process is done.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I simply removed mine altogether. The JK is the first (true 4x4) jeep model to have this unnecessary and ugly chrome ("look in your rearview...See...I"M a JEEP!") label ever tattooed on its nose. And boy...who hates chrome emblems worse than a true offroader? It's easy and painless to remove, ( my jeep bareley made a sound...)

A

·
0 Posts
I used fishing line to get the letters off, rattle canned with black Krylon paint and then glued them back on with clear silicon. Mine are getting chipped so I’ll have to do it again and use some clear coat this time.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I'm more than happy to mail mine to ya if you want to mess around painting them. They are just scattered on a shelf.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used fishing line to get the letters off, rattle canned with black Krylon paint and then glued them back on with clear silicon. Mine are getting chipped so I’ll have to do it again and use some clear coat this time.
Good point - clear coat would be helpful... I don't want to take off the emblem and reapply... I'd probably mess that up by putting it back on.

I'm more than happy to mail mine to ya if you want to mess around painting them. They are just scattered on a shelf.
Thanks man, but i'll probably pass. Thanks for the offer.

I'm thinking I will look at masking it off and try using a touch up paint pen or something like that and then hit it up with a clear coat. If it comes out crappy, i'll just rip it off.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I know it will hurt a little...but I swear, set the jeep in the sun, let it warm up, then take a small screwdriver or similar item...lay down a piece of msk tape or paper towel (so you wont scratch or gouge the plastic POS grille, and start with the big "J". It will pull right off and the "liberated" feeling will cause you to continue with the remaining letters. Do it carefully and there will be no residue or gouges or scratches and you can always put them back on there if you want...BUT I Gaurantee that you will NOT put them back on.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it will hurt a little...but I swear, set the jeep in the sun, let it warm up, then take a small screwdriver or similar item...lay down a piece of msk tape or paper towel (so you wont scratch or gouge the plastic POS grille, and start with the big "J". It will pull right off and the "liberated" feeling will cause you to continue with the remaining letters. Do it carefully and there will be no residue or gouges or scratches and you can always put them back on there if you want...BUT I Gaurantee that you will NOT put them back on.
Thanks man... i know if i was to going to remove them, I'd use the fishing line trick and saw them off using the fishing line.

Sounds like I should just go ahead and take them off... I might just do that...

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
To be totall serious here...I was hesitant at first, cause I thought it might look strange or that if I ever sold my jeep that the perspective buyer wouldnt want it cause the letters were gone or somethin...but I realized that the letters can always be reapplied in the future...and also that any self respecting jeep enthusiast would like it better like that anyway...Then I pulled mine off (he,he...pulled mine off...) and I swear...the jeep actually breathed a sigh of relief...like I had just pulled a thorn out of it's paw!...OK wellthats kinda a stretch of the truth...but again, it looks so much more "right" w/o those letters being there anymore. It looks cleaner, meaner, (and other TJ and JK owners will stare a little longer at it trying to decide "is that a tj or jk...hmmmm). DO IT!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine went bye-bye months ago, used a screwdriver to pry them off. Look on ebay for a replacement, the letters come on pre-spaced peel and stick paper.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well guys, i just took off the JEEP letters...

holy crap... it looks so much better. Thanks for the idea!!!!!:bounce:

I was paranoid at first, it left a shadow in the paint... after some wax it came out and it now looks flawless... :)

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
i took mine off and got another set , painted them black and put them on the sides where it should have been stamped from the factory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like the look both ways. I made mine flat black and think it looks good.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Still personally dig mine without...However, that flat black idea looks GREAT. Much more respectable looking than the chrome...especially contrasted with the red rock paint and the flat black fenders. Very impressive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pulled mine off yesterday to paint it black..but I liked the looks without so I left it off. At some point I may put it back on in black.

RC

·
Registered
12 Posts
My "J" was pretty much falling off on it's own, and it had some kind of weird corrosion crap all over it anyway. Of course after the J fell off the EEP pretty much seemed to be welded on but I used some dental floss to remove without too much trouble, and a little goo-gone and then wax got rid of the ghost JEEP outline.

I cleaned them up and thought about putting them back on but I ended up liking it better without. Although the blacked out version does look a lot better than the chrome

1 - 20 of 42 Posts