JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with a decision. I am expecting a bonus that would facilitate either scenario. Just looking for some sound reasoning, and smart remarks of course.

So I have a 2008 Silver Sahara with 25,000 miles that I LOVE. I have put probably about $1000 in mods; nothing groundbreaking: a 3" Rough country lift, moving exhaust, evap can, heated seats, ambient lighting, steering stabilizer, quick discos, rusty's intake etc. Nothing that can't be redone, and nothing that I expect to add value other than meeting my own personal preferences. The 2008 has the lifetime powertrain warranty, for what it is worth. I owe a little under $16,000 with a 4.94% note with 48 months remaining. I see KBB values between $25-27k.

I have always wanted an orange jeep. I don't care what Chrysler calls it, mango tango is a color that I want.

What would be the best play? Trading in ol' Silver Sara for a new Mango Tango OR paying for a real high quality paint job on my existing model. If I buy new, I would want to get out with a 48 mo loan close to the same payment ($360-ish).

Pros with buying new: Get a new jeep (less miles) with some new features (when is the pentastar due out?) in a factory color I want with original paint in all the cracks and crevices. Opportunity to get a Rubi (not a requirment). New tires (mine are coming due in the next 12 mos and I would try to negotiate Rubi wheels/tires even if I got a Sahara)

Cons with new: New loan, hassle with trading/selling/sales tax. Redoing mods (eh, sometimes its fun, but it is a hassle to carve out the time with 3 kids under 5). Delay to bigger tires (I refuse to get new tires before I wear these out)

Pros with painting: Keep the jeep I love, ability to pick a color / shade I like better than Mango Tango, enjoy mods that I have done. Eventually (sooner) get the 33's I want. Keep a jeep with lifetime powertrain warranty.

Cons with painting: What a PIA to take all that stuff off, probably would lead as the most expensive mode ever on my jeep.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
950 Posts
i would think buying the new color u like would be alot better...

if u paint.. ur gonna have get the doors and engine compartment.. so ur still gonna see silver on ur jeep..

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If you paint it Clemson orange youre at serious risk of being gay...:thefinger:
Kidding (see the columbia location at left) :D

Keep it and paint it, then stick a big ol Gamecocks sticker on your door to offset the color :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is going to be a long year to have to endure the clucking....

If I were king, I would have a special tailgating jeep painted Clemson orange, with purple and white stripes down the middle, a white grill, and white paws on the doors.

Ultimate tailgate paint job.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would buy new for one reason. Value. If you repaint the current JK any other color than the original it devalues. Now the JK isn't worth as much. Get a new one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy one red rock lol, go gamecocks!!!!! seriously painting it will be tough you have to strip everything

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Chrysler makes you sign a piece of paper which states that if you add any non Mopar authorized mods, that it voids your warranty. Maybe you where excited when you were originally making your purchase and just wanted to get the paperwork signing out of the way. Your sales person should have pointed this piece of paper out to you. Mine did, when I purchased my JK new.
// thread jack //

Me thinks you need to scan & post this "paperwork". I KNOW I did not sign any such paper. I probably would've walked away had they attempted to have me sign such a retarded piece. Seriously, where is this "MOPAR authorized mod" list?

// thread jack off // (no pun intended)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
id say new as well.
imagine paint the whole thing just to have it slightly off, it would drive you nuts.
i couldnt imagine paying several thousand on a paint job just to scratch it off on the trail. I dont mind scratching the factory paint though. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Get a new Rubi for sure!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce: Upgrade that Sahara to a Rubi and start all over with the mods!!! I love that orange.. if I had the money I'd go buy a new one too :D

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
I'll try and dig mine up for ya and scan it. You'll have to handle the reading part on your own since this forum doesn't support (VOIF)Voice Over Internet Forum.

While I'm at it, you do your part and call Chrysler's Warranty department and ask them if there are any modifications which can void your warranty.:shaking:

I knew I had to add this last line in my original post because someone would come along and miss the point.;)
they cant just void your entire warranty because you modded your Jeep :shaking:

My jeep is lifted, has snorkel, has after market griffin radiator running prestone antifreeze and they covered my water pump under the lifetime powertrain, they are also going to cover my crankshaft seal leak.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My dealer told me that the only mods that void the warranty are any mods to the engine or drivetrain. Lifts 3 inches and under are ok as they do not require a change to the driveline. Not that it matters...my warranty expired 300 miles ago. :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
So you tell me....are you so sure what is covered and what isn't covered due to adding a lift??? Are you a lawyer??? Do you have anything from Chrysler in writing, saying it's ok to add, A,B,C and D and these items will still be covered under Warranty? Have you even read your Warranty agreement
?

Not the age old warranty argument hijacking a thread for the ten trillionth time on the forum! Bottom line, COULD a moderate modification void that specific or directly related piece of your Jeep from a warranty claim? YES! Can you most likely find a mod friendly dealer that uses common sense and realizes that a snorkel would not cause your axle seals to leak? YES!

Back to the topic at hand, the sooner you pay off your jeep the sooner you will have more money for crazy mods since you won't have a monthly payment! If your happy with your current Jeep then you might want to keep her and not risk trading it on a new one riddled with the common problems. Check out some of the vehicle "wraps" as an alternative to a new paint job. It's like a big sticker that covers your whole jeep in whatever color/design you
want. Just an idea, might not be your thing:beer:

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
If it was me I would look into possibly going with a two-tone paint job (original silver and the orange) to avoid the cost of a new full paintjob and the hassle/expense. Might not be what you are into, but I bet some cool combos could be come up with. And about the voided warranties........my doctor wife said don't worry bout that

·
Registered
649 Posts
Trade in your current jeep that you love. But before you do return it to stock (if you can). Go out get your new jeep and then have the installation party. It will go faster this time which means more time for drinkin. Or trade in as is you won't get any extra for the improvements you've made and then you can buy all the mods again, hell even try some new ones if you like. Orange? Well I guess I mean it's not for me all but I get it. I guess I'm just lucky that USC is Crimson and Gold, I got the metallic jeep green, I'm into the classics.

·
Registered
805 Posts
NEW makes sense. As someone pointed out: paint job = devalue

Also, go with the Rubicon...they tend to hold their value better and, if you can afford it you will be glad you got it. :beer:

If you have a Carmax near you, you may want to get it appraised. It's free and it could facilitate unloading your Jeep. They will make you an offer good for 7 days.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
^^ The above sig is poorly worded and implies Americans are pushovers.

Regardless, Go with the orange. Volunteer Orange :thefinger:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump - for the weekend crowd

:beer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts