JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P0706 ‐TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR RATIONALITY

This check engine light code keeps coming up then goes away. Anybody else have this happen to then? Any insight is appreciated.

*****CORRECTION P0706-TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR RATIONALITY******

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP. anybody know anything? i plan on taking it in but was hoping sombody here would know. thanks.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
I'm assuming this is a 4 speed, not the 5 speed.

The transmission range sensor TRS is a rather fragile switch inside the transmission. It has 4 spring loaded pins which are pushed against a rotating plate which is grounded. The plate is embedded with plastic where electrical contact is not desired. As you shift the transmission the switch plate rotates causing the pins to contact metal or plastic.

There is one additional switch on one of the pins, in park/neutral one pin drops into a recess completing the starter circuit. So if you are having intermittent starting problems, look here.

The ECM monitors the state of the switches to determine desired transmission gear. There are valid and invalid switch states. In gear is valid but between gears is an invalid state.

I would suggest you first check the shift cable adjustment, be sure there is no slop and the cable is snapped in securley on the shifter and transmission ends. You can adjust the cable by removing the console and loosining the torx head screw on the cable at the shifter.

Run the shifter through the gears and be sure the PRNDL on the dash follows exactly. One momentary false input will put the PRNDL into an error mode which the ECM then reverts to trans pressures to determine gear.

If a PRNDL code is thrown you must turn the key off, then on with the engine off and clear the code. If you do not do this it will remain in PRNDL error.

Another cause is metal particles in the transmission fluid. If this is the case flush the transmission.

Other possible causes are the switch, short or open in the wiring or a bad PCM; however, I find this less likley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts