JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2013 JKU check engine light came on a few weeks ago while she was driving from Houston to Austin. The Jeep lost acceleration for a moment and then back to normal setting off the light. I had her do the key trick to retrieve the code, but it didn't show a stored code. The Aeroforce gauge also showed no code. Since there was no stored code that I could see, I cleared the light.

She was driving yesterday and the same thing happened which triggered the check engine light. Again, the key trick showed no codes. I pulled out another device that I use for my truck and it pulled the code P0741.

A Google search doesn't return a whole bunch, but I was able to find a few others with the code. I see that someone got a new torque converter and another ended up with a new transmission. If I remember correctly, those happened only after the dealer threw other parts at the issue. There wasn't much follow-up on those threads so I'm not sure if the issue was resolved. I plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
851 Posts

- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
- Transmission internal mechanical problem

The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.
Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.
When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.
I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Well the code was not stored so the dealer didn't have anything to go off of. My wife plans to go to the dealer right after it happens again and hope the light doesn't turn off.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the JK back to the dealer this morning. They were able to see the code and it sounds like a rebuild of the transmission might be in my future. They said it would be two or three days to get the go ahead from Chrysler and then up to two weeks for the rebuild. I would imagine that a rebuilt unit would be sent from Chrysler rather than the dealer doing a rebuild in house. It only has 32,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership replaced the valve body in the transmission. So far, the issue hasn't returned. I'm hopeful that this fixed it.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife was on her way to Austin again and called me with more issues.

Hot oil warning came on. Trans temp was up to 250*, but would cool down. Temp would quickly jump and then quickly go back down. She checked the trans fluid level and it was spot on. Had her check for any signs of a trans fluid leak. She found nothing.

About 20 minutes later, the Jeep hesitated as it did before the recent fix. She was able to drive the rest of the way with no more issues.

Back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer is completely rebuilding the transmission and putting in new torque converter.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
That's a bummer. Glad she got back and the dealer is fixing it this time to resolve the issue(s).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also been dealing with this issue for a month now. Brough it to the dealer and they just cleared the engine light, reconnected some wires that where "loose" but that did not solve the issue. I am going back to the dealer next week to escalate this issue and see what happens from there. Im currently running 35s and they tried to blame the issue on that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just talked to dealer after dropping it off Monday. The torque converter needs to be replaced and the transmission rebuilt. And something about the input shaft. 11K miles. Luckily under warranty, but still sucks. I foresee this being an ongoing issue. Wonder if I should just trade it in?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good news I think. Dealer said they only have to replace the torque converter, input shaft and fluids. Don't have to tear down the transmission. I feel much better now. Should have parts today and be done tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good news I think. Dealer said they only have to replace the torque converter, input shaft and fluids. Don't have to tear down the transmission. I feel much better now. Should have parts today and be done tomorrow or Friday.
I am having the same issue. Did this resolve it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealership replaced the valve body in the transmission. So far, the issue hasn't returned. I'm hopeful that this fixed it.
I know this is a super old post but I have the same issue, any chance you remember the cost of your valve body replacement?
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. Did this resolve it?
I can tell you this. I had the same code and same issue so I dropped the pan and filter letting it drain for about an hour but I also disconnected the to cooling lines on the side of the transmission and used mineral spirits and a small pump to flush the lines all the way up to the radiator. I replaced the valve body which cost me $628 at the dealership after the $100 core of the old one and I had $97,000 Miles when I did this and I now have 112,000 mi and the problem never returned. Some people have replaced the valve body and the torque converter to solve the problem as well I just lucked out hope this helped anyone. Bobby G.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts