JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Bad sender maybe? I have a brand new one somewhere if you need one.

I had the pump replaced on mine, but it threw no codes, just died.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sending unit seems to be good and no problems with wiring up to the main connector.

I reset my AEV programs and then reloaded my original settings. no changes either way.

When I clear the code I get the same exact cycle of lights. Turn the key on all mil's turn off except the fuel low light then the brake light comes on followed by the engine mil.

No abs, bas, or esp mil's so I dont have an issue with any wheel sensor or the axis indicator.

The cluster shows fuel level below empty and the fuel light is on. OBD port shows fuel level at 80%, makes no sense. I can move the float on the sending unit and nothing changes at the cluster or the obd port, but I get a change in voltage at the main harness connector so the sender is working.

I have gone over the entire wire harness to make sure I didnt leave something unplugged, everything is good. All grounds are good also.

Something that might be related, back in July the speedo stopped working while at highway speed and then started working again about 20 min later.

I have had an issue when I couldn't turn the Jeep off, key in hand out of the ignition and the jeep was still running. I somehow traced that to the sway bar plug and after I removed it everything was fine. I no longer have the sway par plugged in and I turned the system off with the procal.

I have also had hard start problems which never threw codes and no issues that would relate to the crank or cam sensors. But I cant prove that, I didnt test them I just dont have any driveability problems or a rough idle that is usually accompanied.

The fuel gauge has been slow to function for the past couple of months at start up and has been working intermittently for the past two weeks.

This thing is about to loose all its wiring and get a 4BT,400 and atlas, oh wait I'm broke. I do like to play with fire, maybe a roasted JK on a stick! :pissed:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm starting to think you have a bad cluster. If the obd2 port is reading correctly but the cluster isn't interpreting it or receiving it, me thinks therein lies the problem. Did you unplug the wiring for the cluster when you were doing some of your other projects?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm starting to think you have a bad cluster. If the obd2 port is reading correctly but the cluster isn't interpreting it or receiving it, me thinks therein lies the problem. Did you unplug the wiring for the cluster when you were doing some of your other projects?
I never unplugged the cluster while doing the other stuff but I have had just about every other harness unplugged, most with the battery disconnected. The only harness that was left unplugged when the battery was connected was the main body harness under the right side of the dash, and that was accidental. I forgot the battery was connected and I had the key on for the radio. Dont ask, I get distracted often, I have 5 wonderful excuses.:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Something that might be related, back in July the speedo stopped working while at highway speed and then started working again about 20 min later.
jennies used to do that all the damn time.........it was a weak battery

I have had an issue when I couldn't turn the Jeep off, key in hand out of the ignition and the jeep was still running.
mine does that whenever it gets wet.......dunno why

This thing is about to loose all its wiring and get a 4BT,400 and atlas, oh wait I'm broke. I do like to play with fire, maybe a roasted JK on a stick! :pissed:

about 2 months ago, i left the ign. on one night and the batt went dead, jumped it and it started fine but, no headlights, no wipers , no horn...........nothing on the steering column worked at all.........i spend 4 hrs tring to figure out what was wrong, tracing circuits...........turns out it was a computer glitch..........unhooked the batt, grounded the ++ side and hooked it back up, and it all worked fine......and still is..........fawking computer...

and yes i am >< this close to going with a 6bt, nv4500, and an atlas also

do you think 2.5t rockwells would make my ass look fat?:thefinger:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

about 2 months ago, i left the ign. on one night and the batt went dead, jumped it and it started fine but, no headlights, no wipers , no horn...........nothing on the steering column worked at all.........i spend 4 hrs tring to figure out what was wrong, tracing circuits...........turns out it was a computer glitch..........unhooked the batt, grounded the ++ side and hooked it back up, and it all worked fine......and still is..........fawking computer...

Some fat on an ass is good:bounce:

I have had the radio on, I killed the battery,and left the charger on. maybe just maybe its my ignorance and not the jeep. I dont want to get into what happened in my garage today but I did yell at a nieghbor kid. :D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Have you tried the good ol' touch the battery cables together, leave it be for 15 minutes and then try it?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Have you tried the good ol' touch the battery cables together, leave it be for 15 minutes and then try it?

Yup, I just reset the computer put the fuel tank back in started it up, lights came back on. I noticed a popping in the front end when I turned the wheel so I had my wife come out and turn the wheel back and forth while I looked, praying she doesnt run me over AGAIN!. The track bar upper bushing mount needs to be rebuilt, the tie rod end on the drag link is gone and the steering gear box has a lot of play in the sector shaft, WTF. So I turned the jeep off, tried to tighten the tie rod end and I greased it. Went to restart so I could pinpoint the gear box better and nothing the jeep said spah fut. I guess its still pissed at me for not going to Longs :jeep1: I have moved past Gaud Dammit I now blame his father whoever that might be.:D

Guess I'm going to buy a battery tomorrow and see if thats the problem before buying a PCM.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I dont want to get into what happened in my garage today but I did yell at a nieghbor kid. :D
DAMNIT- I KNEW I should have stopped by. You gonna be home tomorrow (Monday)?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Joe,

Don't buy a new PCM. You can borrow mine and see if it'll work. I am a bit south of ya but you are welcome to try it if you want.

I'm flying to DC tomorrow and I won't be back until Friday around dinner. If you want, I'll leave it where my wife can find it if you want to come down during the week.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New battery, jeep starts but I still have the three lights on and the same code is showing up.

Joe,

Don't buy a new PCM. You can borrow mine and see if it'll work. I am a bit south of ya but you are welcome to try it if you want.

I'm flying to DC tomorrow and I won't be back until Friday around dinner. If you want, I'll leave it where my wife can find it if you want to come down during the week.
Very cool of you to offer and I will take you up on it. PM me your address please, I'm going to see if my wife will pick it up during the day. Thank you very much. If it ends up being the PCM do you want to sell yours?

New cluster?
That's next

1 - 20 of 62 Posts