JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

If you need to switch-off the ESP for various reasons e.g. Sand Driving in the Dunes or better braking in snow, I have solved the problem by adding a "kill-switch" to the fuse J6 as illustrated in the two photos attached. When you turn the switch "off" the circuit is broken and the ABS pump is off and all ESP functions are canceled, of course your instrument panel lights-up with the ESP, ABS and TC lights. Once you finish, turn the car ignition off, then put the kill switch back on, ignition on, drive a few feet, all light go off and car is back to normal ESP functionality :devil:

Attachments

· Registered
3,998 Posts
Looks good. I did the same thing by cutting a wire under the dash and switching it. It's great to be able to do donuts in the snow again :D.

Medsker
What wire was that (purple white tracer?) in the loom coming from the center going under the dash I was telling someone about it the other day but couldnt remember. sorry for the hijack it refreshed my memory

· Registered
51 Posts
What wire was that (purple white tracer?) in the loom coming from the center going under the dash I was telling someone about it the other day but couldnt remember. sorry for the hijack it refreshed my memory
It's been a while but it seems like it was purple with light blue...there were two wires and you want the larger of the two...but it has been a while. If you want more info I can go crawl under the dash :D

· Openly Hostile
6,939 Posts
I did a writeup for this on the other forum a long time ago, haha.

It's a purple wire with a light blue strip. There is also a purple wire with a slightly darker blue stripe so make sure you cut the right one.

· Registered
3,998 Posts
It's been a while but it seems like it was purple with light blue...there were two wires and you want the larger of the two...but it has been a while. If you want more info I can go crawl under the dash :D
I did a writeup for this on the other forum a long time ago, haha.

It's a purple wire with a light blue strip. There is also a purple wire with a slightly darker blue stripe so make sure you cut the right one.
Thanks yall

· Registered
934 Posts
Guys,

If you need to switch-off the ESP for various reasons e.g. Sand Driving in the Dunes or better braking in snow,......:

Very incorrect and misleading statement.

While ABS was never intended to stop a car quicker, it also does not turn on until AFTER you have caused a wheel to lock up in skid. So once you have done this it will in fact stop you faster than sliding and give you some units of traction available for steering.

True "threshold braking" works just as well with or without the ABS functioning. The ABS is a great backup to your own skill. Disabling ABS for snow use is dangerous and could probably void your insurance coverage on your Jeep if an accident happens. They are basing your rates on those installed safety features. (so you violate the contract by disabling them).

Being able to disable traction control for 4HI play use (sand etc) I can see. But I thought there was a way to do that in the manual??!!

· Registered
51 Posts
Very incorrect and misleading statement.

While ABS was never intended to stop a car quicker, it also does not turn on until AFTER you have caused a wheel to lock up in skid. So once you have done this it will in fact stop you faster than sliding and give you some units of traction available for steering.

True "threshold braking" works just as well with or without the ABS functioning. The ABS is a great backup to your own skill. Disabling ABS for snow use is dangerous and could probably void your insurance coverage on your Jeep if an accident happens. They are basing your rates on those installed safety features. (so you violate the contract by disabling them).

Being able to disable traction control for 4HI play use (sand etc) I can see. But I thought there was a way to do that in the manual??!!
They didn't start that until 2008 and the way to do it is so long and tedious that a switch is better. I agree with you on the ABS...I'd love to see someone able to pump the brakes as fast as it does :D Unfortunately I haven't found a way to disconnect one without the other.

· Registered
934 Posts
. I agree with you on the ABS...I'd love to see someone able to pump the brakes as fast as it does :.

Just for clairification. ABS does NOT "pump the brakes"!!

It senses a wheel stop rolling and RELIEVES brake pressure to allow that wheel to roll.......guess what? The driver still has their foot planted on the brake pedal which builds the pressure back up and causes lock up again, so the ABS relieves pressure again.

A typical system can releive this pressure 7-20 times PRE SECOND. This is the sensation you feel in the pedal, NOT "pumping the brakes".

A driver can be mroe effective braking by simply applying constant pressure up to the lock up threshold without crossing it and making the car slide. It they do cross it they should easy up just enough to get under the threshold. This is a VERY small movement. DO NOT PUMP!!!!!

· Registered
51 Posts
Just for clairification. ABS does NOT "pump the brakes"!!

It senses a wheel stop rolling and RELIEVES brake pressure to allow that wheel to roll.......guess what? The driver still has their foot planted on the brake pedal which builds the pressure back up and causes lock up again, so the ABS relieves pressure again.

A typical system can relieve this pressure 7-20 times PER SECOND. This is the sensation you feel in the pedal, NOT "pumping the brakes".

A driver can be more effective braking by simply applying constant pressure up to the lock up threshold without crossing it and making the car slide. It they do cross it they should easy up just enough to get under the threshold. This is a VERY small movement. DO NOT PUMP!!!!!
You are correct, I was just putting it in layman terms, I guess that comes from working at Sears Auto Center for 10 years :D Most people just want to hear that the ABS pumps the brakes for them so they just need to push down the pedal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.