JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be installing the SPAL fan & shroud when it arrives.

I spend a good amount of time in water (depending on the time of year here in SW Florida) and would it be a good idea to install a override kill switch to shut off power to the fan when submerged? I am not talking just a quick dip, but several minutes at a time in water.

How about a way to have it on all the time? Good idea or bad? Since I was wiring anyway to possibly add the kill switch might as well add the constant on.

Figured for the kill switch just use a relay to a dash toggle to cut the power to it.

Figured for the constant on also use another relay controlled via a dash switch.

Is this overkill?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Honestly I would not worry about one to override to leave it on constantly, but if you do then yes you would need a second toggle switch.

Here is the wiring diagram. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Thanks Med for asking this ? and thanks Bodybrdng for answering it...I'm really starting to think I might order this now and get it put in before our trip up to Ocala, or I might just throw it in the Mule just in case.

I definitely want a shut off switch for water crossings, though I also still need a snorkle so heavy deep crossings are still out for me.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thanks Med for asking this ? and thanks Bodybrdng for answering it...I'm really starting to think I might order this now and get it put in before our trip up to Ocala, or I might just throw it in the Mule just in case.

I definitely want a shut off switch for water crossings, though I also still need a snorkle so heavy deep crossings are still out for me.
/Hi-jack
If you are ever near MD and need help installing the snorkel give me shout
/End Hi-jack

I have done a lot of water crossing and have not had a problem yet.. (knock on wood) but I know a lot of people that have. IMO it seems like maybe they are going in the water too fast but I could be wrong as I was not actually there when it has happened to others.

There is also some diagrams in the Service Manual I posted, might help.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26370

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
/Hi-jack
If you are ever near MD and need help installing the snorkel give me shout
/End Hi-jack

I have done a lot of water crossing and have not had a problem yet.. (knock on wood) but I know a lot of people that have. IMO it seems like maybe they are going in the water too fast but I could be wrong as I was not actually there when it has happened to others.

There is also some diagrams in the Service Manual I posted, might help.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26370
lol..Yea I'm down here in Florida, so MD might be a bit of a jump...:laughing:

Well when I say deep crossings I'm referring to steady over the hood depth. I agree that unless you know what your doing, aka driving faster than the hood wake, you can f-up real quick when not using a snorkle. Plus I don't might a water crossing or two, but I'm not a mud person, so drenching my Jeep in a muddy soup bowl isn't exactly fun for me, I'll take a day on the rock over mud any day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts