JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forums but have read alot of great issues on here and in need of help. I have a 2013 JK Sahara for the last 3 months that has been having overheating issues. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump, heater core, the left head, radiator cap, flushed it several times, burped it ( I lost count) and it still runs hot after driving it about 5-7 miles on the highway. It has never been off road. Anyone had this issue ?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I am new to the forums but have read alot of great issues on here and in need of help. I have a 2013 JK Sahara for the last 3 months that has been having overheating issues. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump, heater core, the left head, radiator cap, flushed it several times, burped it ( I lost count) and it still runs hot after driving it about 5-7 miles on the highway. It has never been off road. Anyone had this issue ?
Stock grill? Anything in front of the grill (large winch)?

How many miles? Any chance the catalytic converters are plugged up? Any engine codes? How hot is it running? Are you just going off the gauge, or have you confirmed the temps with a scanner? Domyou have a way to actually measure the temp at the sensor (infrared or contact thermometer) to verify the sensor is actually correct?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Runs hot or overheats? Those are 2 different things.

I've noticed a dozen or so threads over the years where someone puts an actual temperature gauge in and BAM, OMG it's running hot!

There are dozens of threads on here about fans/radiators/coolant/whatever to keep it from running so hot.

The reality is that the Pentastar is designed to run at 230 degrees in order to help clean up emissions, especially at idle.

They even dampen the stock temp gauge to hide the temp fluctuations, and if you look at the factory temp gauge, even at 230 degrees F, I bet it'll be in the normal range.

Don't make it a problem unless it's REALLY a problem.

Now,.... maybe that's not you.

If it's really overheating, blowing hoses, puking fluid, and snorting steam. then there are a couple of possibilities above from other users.

Plugged cats x2, or maybe the other head? There was some hubub a few years back about casting sand in the engine... can't remember what years that affected though. Seems like it was the early Pentastars.

Any other symptoms or engine codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't actually put a true temp gauge on it. The stock gauge goes over to the max and the red light flashes, engine light comes on and cuts the jeep off. I did notice the sludge in the overflow, so I figured it was casting sand and read about the left head issue, JEEP said mine didnt fall in the range but couldnt explain the sand issue, that's when I had everything except the right head, replaced, it checked good. The fan is coming on as normal but is very loud. It's was check by a local dealer and they could the left head issue but wanted three times the amount to replace so I used a mechanic that I trust and have known for 30 years.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Well.... crap.

That leaves us with some of the more unusual causes of overheating, like plugged cats. How's the engine power? Does it bog at all under high load/high RPM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem with engine power until the red light comes on and it goes into shut down. I will have to check the temp with a gun this weekend after I get home from work, I will let you guys knows the outcome, thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Could it be as simple as having mixed the wrong types of coolants? If you have at some point mixed HOAT, OAT, or the good old green coolant, it can form an awful sludge all through the engine block that can clog passages and basically wreck the engine (not sure if there's really any way to clean it out but maybe there is). Sludge in your overflow makes me suspicious that this might be what's going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mechanic checked the temp on the engine, radiator hot side and cold side, everything was good. Done a dye test, no leaks anywhere. He seems to think it's something internal but has got him stumped with 40 years of experience. The cats are not stopped up, jeep has plenty of power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced the thermostat twice and the housing once. I think it's a junk design for a motor on Mopars part, give me my old 4.0 straight 6 back and I'm good. This is our 6th jeep and always loved em but I just don't know now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
dude the motor is not that bad when i bought my 07 Rubicon coming from. 04 TJ i was impressed with the power of the V6. anyway. when does it over heat? idling, running around town, AC on or off. have you checked your fan dies it run at the right speed? can your radiator be clog inside full of junk i have seen it happen or mud on the outside of the radiator some other restriction winch? grill cover?

·
Registered
191 Posts
here is another idea nost jeeps dont have this problem but you couls have a air pocket in the engine. used a vacuum antifreeze system to suck all the air out of the system then let is pull the antifreeze in. you can also raise the front of the jeep as high as you can so all the air runs to the radiator. here is alittle tip drilling a 1/8 hole on the thermostat it will let the air out with out having to start the jeep to heat up the water for the thermostat to open.

good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts