JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I'd share some pics of my overhead console. i was looking for a place for my cb, switches and some room for more things to come!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose not. But I would think you could do something similar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This inspired me to relocate my radio at last.
Main differences:
- cheap, dirty, and ugly
- attaches to plastic
- MUCH HIGHER
- compatible with hardtop, hardtop can be removed and reinstalled

I considered Tuffy's overhead console, but it protrudes too low.

-- Pete

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
nice job. could you post up pics of how you mounted it to the jeep?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
thought I'd share some pics of my overhead console. i was looking for a place for my cb, switches and some room for more things to come!
will you post up some pics on how you attatched it to the jeep

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they say you don't own the jeep until you drill a hole in it, so I did two just to eliminate any second guessing. those are 1/4-20 stainless bolts into the two holes that i drilled and tapped.

up front it's just a clamp basically. those are 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts welded to the top plate, makes it a little easier to get together.

and a shot looking down

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
they say you don't own the jeep until you drill a hole in it, so I did two just to eliminate any second guessing. those are 1/4-20 stainless bolts into the two holes that i drilled and tapped.

up front it's just a clamp basically. those are 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts welded to the top plate, makes it a little easier to get together.

and a shot looking down

I bet if you changed the back bit slightly to something similar to the front (where the box doesn't directly connect to the holes, but rather a thin piece of steel goes from the holes/bolts to the box) that you could get that to sit a bit lower and fit with a hardtop.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet if you changed the back bit slightly to something similar to the front (where the box doesn't directly connect to the holes, but rather a thin piece of steel goes from the holes/bolts to the box) that you could get that to sit a bit lower and fit with a hardtop.
you are probably correct, however, i wanted it up as high as possible. i am 6'-4" and didn't want to hit my head on it as i have done in other jeeps with overhead consoles. i also wanted it high so that it wasn't as visible from outside the jeep.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i also wanted it high so that it wasn't as visible from outside the jeep.
This is where being tall skews your perspective. Small people look from below and see it all differently. I simply put my radio on a quick disconnect and stow it away (I have to take the whip off too to fit into garage anyway).

-- Pete

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is where being tall skews your perspective. Small people look from below and see it all differently. I simply put my radio on a quick disconnect and stow it away (I have to take the whip off too to fit into garage anyway).

-- Pete
having it low won't keep it out of sight either :shaking: i think people are less likely to look up at the ceiling if they are looking for something to steal. afterall it is a jeep with a soft top, anything is subject to getting stolen, whether it can be seen or not. but the main reason is to keep it away from my head :beer:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
thanks for the pics and a very nice job to solve the problem.

I like it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is brilliant.. Hoping to do something similar this weekend.

·
Registered
931 Posts
both are great! i can't wait till the wife gets her own jeep so i can start doing awesome stuff like this to mine! i may not run a cb, but the switches up there are pretty cool, and they're totally out of the way as well. looks good! :beer:

·
Registered
799 Posts
:grinpimp: Mine fits with a hardtop--

All it takes is $600 bucks worth of Rockhard cage !!

:smokin: JIMBO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts