JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with their outside thermometer not working while wheeling? The temperature never changes. This has happened both times I have had the rig in Moab. As soon as I start driving back into town, it usually works again. I was wheeling with another JK in Moab in November and he seemed to have the same problem. His was one degree colder than mine all day and never changed. I have not tried cleaning it as was mentioned in this thread:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915

Thanks,
peter

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
This never happened to me, until the last time I was wheelin'. It stayed at 47° all day, even though it was close to 80°. As soon as I got on the highway it started working normally again.

I have no idea why this should happen, but it was not dirt/mud/dust/etc. It is just a variable resistor and is not adjustable or repairable. The only thing I can think is that the TIPM does not read it under certain conditions, something like below a certain speed, below a certain RPM, or something. Not sure why this should be the case, but I can't think of any other reason.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There was a thread on the "other" forum (I think) about this. It has something to do with how long the jeep if turned off before restarting. Once you get going above 20 mph or so it will reset itself. The same thing happens to mine also and I thought it was screwed up but it really isn't.

Found it on jkboard:

From the SM:

Vehicle with the key off for more than 4 hours...The CCN will update with the ambient temperature reading immediately.
Vehicle with the key off for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours...The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately after the vehicle reaches above 20mph (with no duration constraint) and will update every 500 ms thereafter.
Vehicle with the key off for less than 2 hours...The CCN will display the last reading (which is stored in memory)just prior to the ignition being turned off.The CCN will not update the value in the display until the car has been driven at 20 MPH or above for 3 consecutive minutes.If the vehicles speed and drive time does not meet the criteria the CCN will continue to display the stored value until the criteria is met.Once the criteria is met ,then the CCN will update the display every 500msbased off of the ambient temperature sensor output.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

Now why the @#$% did Daimler (yes I am going to blame them for this) decide to design such a &*^&@# up system? This is a vehicle that is designed to be driven for long periods of time in low range. :shaking:

peter

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
wow glad to know I wasnt the only one! I have wondered about this awhile and thought it was getting dirty or muddy and couldnt get a good reading

·
Registered
962 Posts
There was a thread on the "other" forum (I think) about this. It has something to do with how long the jeep if turned off before restarting. Once you get going above 20 mph or so it will reset itself. The same thing happens to mine also and I thought it was screwed up but it really isn't.

Found it on jkboard:

From the SM:

Vehicle with the key off for more than 4 hours...The CCN will update with the ambient temperature reading immediately.
Vehicle with the key off for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours...The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately after the vehicle reaches above 20mph (with no duration constraint) and will update every 500 ms thereafter.
Vehicle with the key off for less than 2 hours...The CCN will display the last reading (which is stored in memory)just prior to the ignition being turned off.The CCN will not update the value in the display until the car has been driven at 20 MPH or above for 3 consecutive minutes.If the vehicles speed and drive time does not meet the criteria the CCN will continue to display the stored value until the criteria is met.Once the criteria is met ,then the CCN will update the display every 500msbased off of the ambient temperature sensor output.
This is about the stupidest BS I've read today. Why didn't they save the time writing all that code and use it for something...oh..I don't know....maybe for a transmission that shifts right? Or maybe ESP that can actually be turned off? Use it for good, not evil!!

G

·
0 Posts
Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

Now why the @#$% did Daimler (yes I am going to blame them for this) decide to design such a &*^&@# up system? This is a vehicle that is designed to be driven for long periods of time in low range. :shaking:

peter
I agree whole heartedly! I love my JK but I have to say that there are a lot of really, really screwy things in the computer system. The way the security system works if you have the remote key system is just plain brain dead. The fact that if you have the (electronic) sway bar disconnected in 4 hi and turn the engine off and then restart it the sway bar reconnects is really stupid. And on and on and on ....

I spent my entire career doing software development. Some of this stuff just makes me shake my head, not in the vertical direction!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts