JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly new but looking to get more serious with the local Jeep club. Bought an '08 JK X w/ 3.73 gears and looking to build it right for offroading. Would like to run 35s eventually and ARB Lockers. I know they make a Rubicon Axle Kit but was wondering if it would be better to jump up in Axles and Gears now and save changes later. I have added ARB Air Lockers, Rugged Ridge Rails & Front Bumber, Smittybilt XRC Winch, 2.5" Teraflex Lift, KC Slimlites, Quick Discos, Airaid CAI, Hypertech programmed. Got my wife the Unlimited X so none of the parts will be wasted.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Fairly new but looking to get more serious with the local Jeep club. Bought an '08 JK X w/ 3.73 gears and looking to build it right for offroading. Would like to run 35s eventually and ARB Lockers. I know they make a Rubicon Axle Kit but was wondering if it would be better to jump up in Axles and Gears now and save changes later. I have added ARB Air Lockers, Rugged Ridge Rails & Front Bumber, Smittybilt XRC Winch, 2.5" Teraflex Lift, KC Slimlites, Quick Discos, Airaid CAI, Hypertech programmed. Got my wife the Unlimited X so none of the parts will be wasted.
If your gonna do it, go with a pair of Dana 60's..... kindofa go big or go home approach but i doubt you'll regret it in the end.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
well, if you are going to run the 35's I think the d30 is ok but I really want a d44.

Personnally, If you really think you will only ever run 35's I would take the wheel it till you break it approach. The rear d44 should be fine and when you get tired of problems with the d30 (I have had no problems with 35's and d30) then you can upgrade it to the cheapper d44 from Jeep or get an aftermarket d60 for a couple grand more

I think the new axles are underrated personnaly and feel like people are scared based on the old axles that have diffrent specs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. What about the gears and lift? Currently, I have 3.73s on 32s Xtrem Comp MTs and it seems to snap in and out of gear too often on the road. I also have the 2.5" Teraflex lift. Knowing that I would like to run 35s soon, would you go with 4.10s or 4.88s or something different on the current axles with ARB Lockers? What is typical in gearing if I were to switch to the D60s and who has the best D60s? Will the 2.5" clear the 35s? I have heard that the change to 35s isn't too bad but the change to 37s is more involved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - this reminds me (5'11") of hanging with my basketball friends at the bar at 6'8"; caused quite a stiff neck after a while. I've got the 2dr so the sky is the limit. My wife still thinks I bought her the Unlimited 4dr to stay on the road - we'll have to work at this slowly, ha, ha.

I take it they went with the D60s with the 37s and the 4" lift. Any recommendations on the equipment (Axles, Gears, Lift & Tires)? I want to do it right the first time when I jump.

·
Registered
387 Posts
For tires, I'd recommend BFG KM2's. I've done quite a bit with the 37" size and was impressed. Now I've got the 40" size. I've run the Mud Grappler 37" tires before too and liked those a lot as well.

For axles I have the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's. These are good, but expensive ($13K for front and rear). There are others out there that are less expensive though.

My lockers are ARB air lockers...nice, but the air hose that comes with them is CHEEP...REALLY CHEEP. If you get them, switch out the air hose (I got holes in my front air hose three times in one week...horrible). And yes, the air hoses were tucked away pretty good and zip tied so as not to dangle around.

My gears are 5.38's, but I think most the guys on here running 37" tires have 5.13 gears (though not positive on that).

Ummm...guess that's all. Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm looking at getting 35's with my D30 and running 4.88 gearing. I was told that chrome moly shafts would be an upgrade better than the D44 would that be correct?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I'm looking at getting 35's with my D30 and running 4.88 gearing. I was told that chrome moly shafts would be an upgrade better than the D44 would that be correct?
That is comparing two different things so that comparison doesn't really fit.

Personnally I feel lighter 35's on the NEW D30 and driving concious of it is not so bad. Way better then the old D30's. If you upgrade to chromoly the biggest benefit would be the upgraded Universal Joints. These have been the cause of every front axle failer that I have seen on the JK so far. But then, they have only been out for a couple years.

You see, this gets into the age old argument of polishing the turd. It has been detirmened with the old D30 and D44 that it is a waste of time to upgrade the d30 because after you spend all the money on it you still have the smaller pinion, thiner tubes, etc.

In my onpinion, with the new axles, chromoly in the d30 is a good upgrade that I think would be perfect for 35's and in my opinion nearly as good as the OLD d44's. I would not do any more then that with the d30 though. Anymore then that it would be worth just getting the 44.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts