JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at front stubby bumpers.
I think I like the poison spider, metal cloak and warn versions.

I would like to run auxiliary lights (stock or aftermarket) in the bumper (similar to sock) and a winch.

I like the idea of a hidden winch in the bumper, but it seems if thats the case you loose the lights.

Any over heating issues with the warn stubby with the winch on top style?

Opinions?

Reccomendations?

Warnings?

Oh yeah....

almost forgot...

Experts only please!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Stubby's do allow for more room for bigger tires, but don't offer as much front end protection when on the road compared to a mid-width or full-width.

There are several companies that make stubbies that retain the factory fog lights, but very few that have the winch recessed. Rugged Ridge, OR-Fab, Rock Hard, LoD, PureJeep and Hanson make stubbies that retain the fog lights.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge XHD. It has spots for stock fog lights, a semi recessed winch plate, and you can put whatever you want on it. Stubby, mid, full, hoop, etc. I have no end caps and just ordered a stinger. If money is an issue at all, here is a great deal on one. You can find the accessories for the bumper on here for a great price too, but you might have to do some waiting and hunting. They only get the parts that get returned for small issues (hints the name scratch-n-dent) but its worth the 40-50% off in my opinion.

http://scratchndentparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=70

Edit: looks like it sold, but i'm sure there will be more on there soon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the PSC RockBrawler Lite, with factory fog lights, and the warn power plant. I really like this set up. The bumper is solid, the fog lights fit perfectly, the only issue was the winch. I had to drill the mounting holes longer to get the winch to fit (the jeep does not have the winch on it in this picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge XHD. It has spots for stock fog lights, a semi recessed winch plate, and you can put whatever you want on it. Stubby, mid, full, hoop, etc. I have no end caps and just ordered a stinger. If money is an issue at all, here is a great deal on one. You can find the accessories for the bumper on here for a great price too, but you might have to do some waiting and hunting. They only get the parts that get returned for small issues (hints the name scratch-n-dent) but its worth the 40-50% off in my opinion.

http://scratchndentparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=70

Edit: looks like it sold, but i'm sure there will be more on there soon.
I browse the scratch and dent website from time to time, it is operated by thejeephut.com. I went with a RR XHD too. I think for the price it can't be beat and it is modular, meaning it can be customized for stubby, full width, stinger hoop. Whatever your heart desires. The winch plate is recessed but not hidden. That said, it doesn't compete with the style of the PSC Brawler Lite.

-Dan

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a RR XHD too but I'm selling it because I want a full length in the front:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I have zero cooling issues with the winch on top. I run lights attached to the winch fairlead just fine.

I run a poison spider bfh, about as stubby as they come. The added clearance to get my tires on objects has been very handy.

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have ACE's stubby and this thing is freaking beefy. It has a built in front skid too so your auto sway bar disco is protected. Also comes plain, bull bar or stinger. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey Southern Girl! Glad to see you here, free of tyranny!
Yea...got banned for being on other forums with the same name...oh well...was getting tired of all of the jack asses giving out bad info over there anyhow! Glad to see you here!

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
If you don't mind a little cutting of the frame, the Poison Spyder BFH is a great option. (You'll lose your stock fog lights, but that doesn't mean you can't run lighs above your winch. :D)

And you have three options in the front tube - Brawler Bar or Trail/Comp stinger. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If you don't mind a little cutting of the frame, the Poison Spyder BFH is a great option. (You'll lose your stock fog lights, but that doesn't mean you can't run lighs above your winch. :D)

And you have three options in the front tube - Brawler Bar or Trail/Comp stinger. :smokin:
Merlin too. Hey there :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yea...got banned for being on other forums with the same name...oh well...was getting tired of all of the jack asses giving out bad info over there anyhow! Glad to see you here!
Thats stupid. Banning people for talking about blacklisted vendors I can kinda understand. But for being on other forums? Are you serious?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
If you don't mind cuting the frame (and have the tools/ability ((it's not that hard)) to do it) then you can't go wrong with the BFH.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thats stupid. Banning people for talking about blacklisted vendors I can kinda understand. But for being on other forums? Are you serious?
Yep...glad I no longer feel under the thumb of tyrants! That place should be considered a cult....

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I was just in this debate and ended up going with the Hanson shorty. But it was a close race with the PSC rockbrawler.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
I was just in this debate and ended up going with the Hanson shorty. But it was a close race with the PSC rockbrawler.
That's a nice one too. Clean lines. :beer: (Just didn't want to drop $800 on a front bumper! :laughing:)

My only question is how "vertical" is the stinger? I can't tell from this pic, but it looks like it is almost going straight up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went for the cheapest, simplest bumper I could find. Ended-up with Benchmark Design's sport winch bumper. I like it a lot, but hesitate to recommend the company because people have had so many problems with their customer service. I think the bumper looks similar to the bumpers on the military JKs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts