JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys used to widen shackle tabs?? My PSC bumpers have the tabs drilled for 7/8" D rings...(7/8" D rings wouldnt even fit) And I'm trying to open them up to 1 1/8". I have access to a plasma cutter if need be, but that seems a little sloppy.

Seems the only route I have is to buy a 1 1/8" metal bit, which is fine, but then I'd need a drill that will fit the (probably almost 1") shank....

I've tried small grinding wheels and a few other things, even a 1/2" metal bit working the outsides of the holes. After about 2 hours I managed to get one almost big enough.

Any ideas?? I'd like to use something I could pick up at home depot for a few bucks, never knew it would be this difficult.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To clarify I've already got a bunch of D rings with a 1 1/8" pin.....

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Why not just use the 3/4" d-rings that they should be drilled for (not 7/8")? $25 or so for the rings that you won't be able to tear up in the worst conditions attached to a Jeep. Seems like it'd save a lot of unnecessary work.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've always used a rotary file in a die grinder. A dremel with the sanding cylinders works pretty fast too.

Keep edge distance in mind. As you remove metal you loose strength. Find out what tear out is for the thickness of the material.

Sent from my little magic box.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why not just use the 3/4" d-rings that they should be drilled for (not 7/8")? $25 or so for the rings that you won't be able to tear up in the worst conditions attached to a Jeep. Seems like it'd save a lot of unnecessary work.
An excellent question....I did had some and they got stolen...so, the wife for xmas got me new ones that were bigger. I knew they wouldnt fit but figured it'd be easy to open up the holes/grind down the pins a bit....and I went ahead and painted them. (now non-returnable). Plus I gotta thing for big ass D rings hangin off my bumper

Plus I already opened up one tab, just looking for an easier route for the other 3.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always used a rotary file in a die grinder. A dremel with the sanding cylinders works pretty fast too.

Keep edge distance in mind. As you remove metal you loose strength. Find out what tear out is for the thickness of the material.

Sent from my little magic box.
Thanks bud I'll try that. I happen to have both a die grinder and a rotary file, just never thought of it. As far as strength goes I've got plenty, I'm trying to cut inwards towards the bumper, if that makes sense, to keep the outside thicker...which is another reason I'd rather not just use a drill bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.