JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13,219 Posts
It's worth it if you spend the time dialing in the suspension. If you just want to bolt a set on to say you have coilovers, I don't think you'll be getting the most out of the suspension or your money.

But thats just my 2cents.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
One of the advantages of coilovers is that it is a spring and shock are packaged together. When setting up a custom suspension, it can save space and eliminates the need for separate spring and shock mounting locations. They also have a lot of options for adjust-ability and customization and can be rebuilt to different specifications.

Off road, they can provide more travel than a standard shock and spring, but only if set up properly.

Given similiar spring rates and shock valving, you wouldn't notice the difference between a standard set-up vs the coilover setup on-road.

Also, just my 2 cents.... and I am not an expert by any means.

· Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I have 2.5" remote resi King shocks mounted in the factory location. When they are not leaking nitrogen they offer a lot better ride over the Teraflex shock that I had by far. They absorb the bumps much better. I bought them used so I'm no sure if they have the stock valving in them or not and I didn't measure them when I had them apart. I couldn't imagine a standard coilover offering a much better ride. If I actually go coil overs as I had planned last year, i'm going full blown bypass and take advantage of fast and slow speeds. But I am going to wait until I move out of S FL first. If you can, drive somebody else rig before you buy so you have better knowledge of what your getting. And drive more than one if you can. Everybody tends to have a different setup i.e. stiff/soft ride. I blewout my front shock seals and that was the reason for me to try the resi shocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.