JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can attach D rings to the Olympic 4x4 Products "single hoop" front bumper (below)? If not, is there a generic D ring mount that could be mounted where the bumper is secured to the frame?

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like that might work. I put in an email to their sales team - I'll post the response here.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We make a D Ring Shackle Mount part. 341-174 that is 3/4" thick steel and easily bolts on with supplies grade 8 bolts of which each has a 80,000 shear strength. They bolt on through the vehicle frame and through the bumper for extreme strength and durability.
You can also choice from a Front Frame Cover or recessed winch mount if your interested.
http://www.olympic4x4products.com/Jeep-D-Ring-Mounting-Brackets-for-Wrangler-JK.html

Attachments

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
We make a D Ring Shackle Mount part. 341-174 that is 3/4" thick steel and easily bolts on with supplies grade 8 bolts of which each has a 80,000 shear strength.
Dude, no . . . :nono:

That 80,000 is psi (pounds per square inch) of shear strength, translating to about 14,000 lbs shear strength best-case at the thread root for a 1/2" grade 8 bolt.
A significant side load on these tabs with a little shock load (tow strap jerk goes a little crooked / sideways - it happens) could take the bolts beyond their limit.
On paper, these should hold up OK, but I'm looking for better than a 4:1 safety factor on a critical item like this.

I sure as hell wouldn't hook up to these to pull you out, for fear that they would snap off and act like a 12 gauge slug delivered by the stored energy in a tow strap or winch line.
:shitstorm:
(I'm allergic to concussions :D)

OP, if you're still looking, I would strongly advise going for the 4-bolt flange like OH9JK posted. These Olympic ones scare me.
Even if you're just looking for a place to hang pretty shackles, I still suggest getting clevises that will not fail if someone mistakes them for functional.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Sure as hell wouldn't want to tug the demo vehicle. You guys forgot a bolt!

Attachments

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Sure as hell wouldn't want to tug the demo vehicle. You guys forgot a bolt!
HOLY SHITBALLS!:laughing2:

Wow . . . and it's their photo . . . :laughing2:

. . . that they posted . . . :laughing2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm actually going a different route - either the Smittybilt SRC or the Rock Hard shorty. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
106 Posts
In 40 years of wheeling I had never seen a 1/2" bolt snap off a tow hook,, let alone a grade 8 bolt. I stand behind in front of or to the side of my earlier statement regarding our Shackle Mounts. If you prefer and would be more comfortable with a welded on set up then by all means use the bolts to position the shackles mounts in place and weld them on, the option is yours. If you want to get serious than we can make you a custom Bad Ass Bumper as shown here. We are happy to weld a shackle mount to any of our bumpers for you, just ask when you order in our comments in the shopping cart or email me at [email protected] What ever you decide to buy please do buy a product made in United States.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
JKCATZ, that was funny pointing out the extra bolt on the fender. Please notice the color of the bolt on the fender, notice the color of the the grade 8 bolts in the image I submitted of the product. Grade 8 bolts are always gold.
That Demo vehicle just got back from Big Bear where we helped a fellow four wheeler, using that shackle mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts