JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since buying our TK 4-dr last month, I have the Wrangler bug and I'm looking to sell my Cherokee and pick up a 2-dr. I'm weighing the pros and cons of the following, and would like to get others takes on it.

Here's the basic details of 2 Wranglers I'm looking at:

'97 Sahara model, 60,000 miles asking $8,000
'02 Sahara model, 106,000 miles asking $9,000

Both are in excellent condition in/out with comparable details and both are at dealers so there should be room to move also. So the major item is newer Jeep with higher miles versus older Jeep with low miles. Also here in Upstate NY, finding an older vehicle with no rust etc., is a premium.

Any thoughts?? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Have you driven both? If not,give them both a try,and make sure you use 4wd,hi and low range.For myself,I think I would lean more to the 97.Oh yeah,where in upstate are you?I'm originally from Dansville/Wayland area :smokin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lohchief - Yes drove them both and everything seems to work fine on both. That's part of the dilemma, they are both very nice and to this point nothing is swaying me either way. Although if I had to buy today, I'm also more leaning to the '97, as it would be cool to have one with such low miles and in perfect condition for the year.

I'm in the Rochester area. Heading down Dansville way next weekend to Wellsville for some trout fishing.

Thanks for the reply...

Have you driven both? If not,give them both a try,and make sure you use 4wd,hi and low range.For myself,I think I would lean more to the 97.Oh yeah,where in upstate are you?I'm originally from Dansville/Wayland area :smokin:

·
Registered
163 Posts
WhiteBomber,
since you mentioned that you checked for rust I will assume you also looked underneath to determine if the vehicle has had a rough life (scratches or dents on the frame or skid plates) Also request a carfax report from the dealer.
Her is what msn autos had to say.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1997&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler

For me I would come down to two things, first is that I believe a 1997 is the first year of the TJ (do a TSB search for both years) generally it takes a few years to work out the bugs and the second factor would be color, what do you like better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts