JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I don't mind taking a cut to help balance the budget, but why must it ALWAYS come from within the Department of Defense?

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2012/...gesthanks-for-your-service-vets.html#comments

How about some of the entitlements that have ballooned? What about all the freaking "funding" of unproven energy technologies to cronies of the SCOAMF, Solyndra anyone? How about the billions of foreign aid we are still providing to Egypt, you know the rising Islam State. How about all the money that goes into disastrous social programs that due nothing but create a further state of dependency for our fellow Americans.

Hell, I got to go hit the rack before I get myself too worked up!

Freaking SCOAMF!

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Doesn't impact me since I was in and out in 4 but it sucks for the guys who earned it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When non-military retirees start wanking about the cost of their health care insurance, I just walk away. Most of them pay more in one month than we pay all yr. Like everyone else I don't like the raise either but relatively speaking it is still a sweet deal.

What appears to be the long run look here is to make tricare competitive to private sector health plans. This would entice retirees to get off the gov't's dime, thus less cost.

Promises mean nothing. The 401k/IRA plans the military starting making mandatory a couple of yrs ago... get ready because at some point, that is going to be your retirement. Question is when?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Even at $2000 a year tricare is a deal. Right now I pay $460 and almost nothing else out of pocket except for my $12 co-pay.

The retirement is a whole different animal. The Hill sees this a fat area primed for cuts. It will take continued pressure from the services retired enlisted and officer associations to keep retirements safe.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,082 Posts
But just like previous generations where they were promised health care for free for life, turned out they were gonna get screwed as well. Until they put up enough of a fight. It is the old bait and switch game all over again. If you do this for us then we will do this for you. Except when it comes time to actually do it well you see times are hard and we need to cut costs.

There is currently another bill working the rounds to have vets pay copays at VA hospitals. What? This administration is trying to gut the military. You may not see it now or in 5 years but you reap what you sow. Sure there will be some that will still join because that is what they want to do. But with lower pay, no pay raises, no retirement, higher health care costs. It is only a matter of time before we become a 3rd world country carrying sticks into war.

·
Registered
6 Posts
But just like previous generations where they were promised health care for free for life, turned out they were gonna get screwed as well. Until they put up enough of a fight. It is the old bait and switch game all over again. If you do this for us then we will do this for you. Except when it comes time to actually do it well you see times are hard and we need to cut costs.
^^^ This!

I'll admit when I first enlisted that I had no idea that I would see it through for twenty years, but a promise then should be valid today.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,082 Posts
I didn't join for the money or the benefits but after 15 or so years when I knew that I was going to stay for 20 years then that become part of the equation as well.

Like buying a new car then 2 years later they come back and want to change the deal.:flipoff:

·
Registered
540 Posts
What I think is going to happen is that congress is going to keep mucking with the military benefits both active and retired, till anyone who joins, does their four and gets out. This will crush the senior leadership, thus the military.

This almost happened in the 90's when congress was buying people out and giving early retirements the mass exodus had senior leadership scared.

Maybe another DC sit in is required. Back in the day they were screwing with vet benefits and vets basically took over the mall in DC blockading the whole area. What are you going to do, pepper spray and water cannon vets? Would be a very bad idea... very bad. That and a lot of vets have nothing else to do but sit on the capitols steps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.