JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what might be leaking? The inside rear corner of the gas tank skid has a thin layer of oil and is forming drops. I get one or two drops a day max but it's enough to have coated the inside rear corner entirely. Not worried since I have seal/gasket coverage on the warranty. Just no idea what would leak oil that far back. It's definitely oil (not red, not brake fluid, etc).

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
One thing to check are pinion seals. that oil gets blowen / slung around everywhere under there. I thought that I had a rear axle bearing or brake issue and it turned out that it was coming from the front pinion seal!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah....I looked everywhere from the transfer case to the rear axle. No oil (or moisture) anywhere else. Just on that one corner.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
maybe check transfer case??
do you have the stock skids? i know on my river raider skids its almost impossible not to get motor oil in the skids when changing it and it eventually makes it back to the gas tank skid

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had something similar on mine, only 12,000 miles on it and I've had an oild leak from somewhere for the last 6,000 miles. It's on the skid and shows up mostly on the bottom of my hitch looked like it was just blowing to the back when driving at higher speeds. No sign of leaks anywhere until yesterday when I pulled my rear driveshaft to replace it. When I pulled the flange from the transfer case some oil started coming out. It wasn't a lot obviously or it would have been easy to find the leak but it looks like that's where it's been coming from this whole time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts