JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my JK used earlier this year and the change oil message seems to come on early before every oil change. Basically the message pops up 2000 miles after the oil was changed. I know how it works and what factors it takes in to determine oil life, but not getting remotely close to 3k miles on an oil change before the message pops up seems a bit odd. I drive the Jeep the same way I've always driven and in previous vehicles if I let it go, i'd get close to 5000 miles before getting the change oil message. Just curious if anybody else has had this issue.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Depending on driving habits and engine RPMs the light will come on more frequently. As my Jeep got more miles on it the light came on after more miles. I was only getting around 2500 miles on my Jeep initially. After 10,000 miles it started to be around 4500 miles.

· Registered
821 Posts
Mine comes on about 3500 miles no matter how I drive. I ignore it because I use the tripometer b to keep track of mileage between changes. When trip b hits around 5-6k miles I change with Mobil 1.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
I ignore mine... always comes on right after I change the oil.

· Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Wasn't real worried about about it. Only thought about because the Jeep has sat the past month and I went out to fire it up the other morning and the light came on. 1200 miles until it was do by miles and a month early by time.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Cold starts, rpm, load, stop/start, etc all factor in. It doesn't actually have an oil sensor like some cars do that can (somewhat) analyze the quality of oil. Just a plain algorithm.

Sent via paper airplane

· Registered
207 Posts
Mine normally dings at 4500 - 5500 miles, but has flaked out a few times and dinged at 2500 miles. And the fries weren't done either... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.