JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a quick question.
I just had the first oil change done on my Willys Wheeler by the dealership. Oil level is reading high on the dipstick. Oil is up on the braided steel part of the dipstick

A call to the dealership let us know that a little high isn't a problem and not to worry about it. I was told to bring it in to get looked at.

I have never heard anyone say too much oil isn't a big deal.

Some google power has come up with tons of people talking about their dipsticks not being accurate on their Jk's and discussing whether or not being over filled on oil is ok.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Reason I change my own oil.

I put 6 quarts in and it's on the oil indicator at the end of the dipstick. It's roughly in the middle on flat ground. (I assume you're checking it on level/flat ground).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil was checked on level ground in my garage. Dealership had two different people check it on level ground at the shop. they told me that it's normal on the 3.6 motor to read a little high on the dipstick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but my understanding is that a little high on the stick ok. But if you're checking the oil level and it's high by an inch or more can cause damage to your engine. If it's in the crosshatched area you're ok. If that's the area that you're referring to as the braided steel, then you should be just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
High

When they told you not to drive high, they were not talking about the oil level.....;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vryce
The area I'm talking about is above the hatch marks where you normally measure the oil. My oil level is on the cable part of the dipstick.
If I get a chance I will put a picture up it would probably make it easier to explain.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't pull the dipstick on my Jeep to compare it to what you're saying, but it sounds like you have way too much oil in there. Pictures will definitely help though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with the 2014 I recently purchased. When I picked it up the dealer had just changed the oil and I really had a hard time seeing where the oil level was. Thought it was on the high side touching the cable. Now that the oil has darkened a little it is reading high. I am going to let some out and see how much it is over. I really don't like that cable dipstick. If anyone knows of a "standard" one to replace it I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Oil was checked on level ground in my garage. Dealership had two different people check it on level ground at the shop. they told me that it's normal on the 3.6 motor to read a little high on the dipstick.
Funny, that's the exact opposite of reality. JK's have been coming up short on the dipstick since day one. If it was normal they wouldn't have had you bring it back in and have 2 different people look at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts