JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question......I got a Jeep Users guide with my 2016 JK, not an actual Owners Manual. My question is how often do I change the oil? I'm at about 4,300 miles and the computer states my oil life is at about 52%. I was told it should be every 5,000 miles but 52% is going to put me well past that. Do I just wait for the idiot light to come on or change it at 5,000? Sorry if this has been asked before but I do not want to screw up my new Pride and Joy! Also anyone now how I can get an actual Owners Manual?
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Damn, man... Don't wait for an idiot light to illuminate. You can't trust anything computer-related when it comes to the JK. You need to look at the condition of the oil and act accordingly factoring in other variables as well. Get in there and check it... look at it... smell it... taste it! Love it!!

You really should do visual inspections on oil as well as other areas and do it on a regular/ regimented basis. When asking "when?" you have to consider that no one knows how, where, what conditions, etc that you drive in better than you do. 5000 miles ain't shit if it's on pavement and babied... but 5000 is a ton when you're crawling, driving like ass, or taking the dusty road up to the compound every day.

So- ppl are going to say anywhere from about 4000 to over 6000. That can be one hell of a variable given all the external differences between drivers/ vehicles. So yea... in a perfect world change at 5000mi or longer. In the real world... maybe a little sooner than that. I sure as shit wouldn't push it though if you're ever in doubt.

Also keep an eye on oil level on the dipstick. Ask this dipstick how he knows. :rolleyes:

Sure someone will chime in on the Owners manual but you can do a quick search too... downloadable format I'm sure. Or you can buy one thru dealership or wherever.

PSA- Don't actually taste it unless you really really feel the need.

Cheers!

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Question......I got a Jeep Users guide with my 2016 JK, not an actual Owners Manual. My question is how often do I change the oil? I'm at about 4,300 miles and the computer states my oil life is at about 52%. I was told it should be every 5,000 miles but 52% is going to put me well past that. Do I just wait for the idiot light to come on or change it at 5,000? Sorry if this has been asked before but I do not want to screw up my new Pride and Joy! Also anyone now how I can get an actual Owners Manual?
Thanks,
Please, I beg of you. Please tell me your a Jarhead.:gluging:

But seriously, I change my oil and air filter every 3500 miles and do a 5 tire rotation for a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I run full synthetic oil in them. I always use factory oil filters. The jeep sees an oil change every 4500 miles it is a 2014 purchased in October 2014. it has had 2 oil changes. My truck gets a 1 time a year oil change because it spends most of its time setting in the garage. I think the last time it was inspected I had clocked 1000 miles on it. The truck is a 97 with 87k miles on it. I plan on keeping th ejeep till the wheels fall off then I will fix it and drive it some more. I paid more for that Rubicon then I had ever dreamed of spending on a vehicle but I got exactly what I was looking for.

The owners manual should have been in the little green bag satchel that came with the jeep. It is on a DVD that will play in th evehcile if you have that or a set top dvd player or even a computer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I do 5 tire rotation and oil at 3000 but I use dino not synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
Normally I would go into one of my "stream-of-conciousness- run-on-sentence-filled-pulpit-of-know-it-all-isms" about the importance of oil change intervals and tire rotation and greasing at 3k with an utter disregard of the dummy light indicating the time to do so yielding results such as my three Jeeps ongoing high mileage used as example here,but it appears my fellow JKOwners brothers have taken care of that.

As these guys have all stated , 3000-3500 change interval w/ new filter and you'll be running fine for a good long while. I use 5w-30 Amsoil in my '11 ,AE or Wix filter and both of my inline6 4.0l Jeeps get Shell Rotella 15w-40 with Wix filter media (the XJ from '95 gets 1/5th part ProLong HD oil stabilizer as it nears 400k cuz its special)
<oh. My neighbors got over seeing me tasting my oil or tranny fluid off the dipstick every now and again a long time ago ... >

·
Registered
378 Posts
Oil change maximum 10k/1 Year. Page 588.

Myself? I changed at 1500, 5k to synthetic, and every 8k per reminder. I'm under warranty too. Jeep dealer said "O. K., just keep your records, that interval is fine.

I've had my fair share of Jeeps.. Never lost an engine to oil. Ran synthetic since 80s.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.jeep.com/download/pdf/ug/2016-Wrangler-UG-1st.pdf?myyear_ug=21&myvehicle_ug=3&o-download-button.x=42&o-download-button.y=6&ved=0ahUKEwj4j-u7sPvKAhVEzGMKHasFBKQQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNGaXEdQrt7Y62m0wHhJsk0jq3s3Fw&sig2=_T5IaIYayYwXnGQDWFj6Og

·
Registered
690 Posts
I changed mine at 3500 (burned it at work, good to go), 8300 and just did it at 13500 with a mopar filter and valvoline oil (not synthetic).

The other day, I had a message "change oil". Didn't know the base sport had this feature. Never reset it before and don't have a dash display saying "Oil life XX%". Just checked it like STUB said (minus taste test) and reset the message. It has less than 2k miles since the last change.

Of course I drive like a grandpa (Wife's words) and only trail ride.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I change my 2010 every 6k or so with whatever synthetic is on sale and a premium filter. My next change is scheduled for 175,000 miles. Be sure to keep an eye on the dipstick.

Lots of pavement miles and some light trails and beach driving.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I change mine every 3000; i use 5w30 Valvoline Highmileage Semi-synthetic

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got myself on a 5,000 mile interval years ago with my Tacoma.

Mobil 1, OEM filter (since I'm under warranty... I use their parts so they can't come back and claim I used cheap filters...), rotate & balance tires whether they feel like they need it or not.

My Firestone Destination M/Ts (at that time, 265/75R16 E) were bad about getting out of balance at about 7,000 miles. Rather than keeping up with 2 separate maintenance intervals, I started rotating and balancing at every oil change.

Never had an issue out of the Tacoma, don't expect any issues with the JK, either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts